Flathead to Hemi swap?

NWmopar

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on here for a long time, but never posted before. I picked up a 52 Windsor with a Spitfire six in it. There seems to be something busted internally in the engine. (clunking sound when I turn it over) If it is terminal, I was wondering how hard it would be to swap in a 52 Desoto 276 Hemi? I have the engine, transmission and all brackets/tranny crossmember. What issues would I run into? I'd kind of like to find another Chrysler six to put in it, but they aren't that easy to find here in NW Oregon. Just trying to decide what to do. Thanks for any feedback. :)

Hello and welcome. I am not sure how difficult it would be to swap in the DeSoto hemi engine and transmission but where the vehicles are similar, it may be doable without too much trouble. If it were my car, I would first investigate the problem with the present engine to find out what has happened to it. I am sure that others on here will be able to provide you with more detailed information regarding this subject. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck to you. Reading your profile on your post, you have an interesting assortment of project cars.?

John R

Thank you sir. Yeah, I would love to leave it a six. I'm curious to see what happened inside the current engine. The story I got from the guy I bought it from was that the previous owner had the engine rebuilt, drove it around town for a few days and it blew up. He got so disgusted that he parked it and never messed with it again. 

I have an addiction to dragging these old girls home. Luckily I have an understanding wife. lol 

Ooooh!  A Hemi in your Windsor would be so cool!  Significant job but I think no more difficult than most swaps of a V8 where a 6 wuz.  What I think of is the transmission.  Probably a 2 speed automatic right?  Just boring hardly worth the effort in my opinion.  I'd suggest a manual or a later model automatic.  Probably are some Mopars that bolt right up.  The steering column will be an issue as well whether Hemi or other V8.  Mopar just slide the engine off center to the drivers side which seems like an ugly fix but once done no one even notices.

And hopefully you'll hear from "Wayfarer" who is near Bend.  He's a hands on guy, has lotsa Hemi experience and is generous with his information.

Edited by mrwrstory

Both the Desoto Hemi and the Windsor spitfire had Fluid-drive automatics behind them. Did the six cylinder cars have a different frame than the hemi cars? I looked at the desoto chassis and it looks like it has the holes for the flathead six front cradle motor mount. The Windsor's frame doesn't have the side mounts for the hemi though, I would have to cut them off the Desoto chassis and weld them on the Windsor. 

did that swap in a 54 Windsor. welded in the motor mounts, no clearance issues with the steering. driveshaft and rear need to come from a hemi car, bit all bolt in.maybe the rad.? mine was automatic, yours is the gyromatic. good tranny. not sure if yours is the 25 inch block. if not, that could be an issue.  capt den

The Windsor has the 25" block. I have the hemi car rear end and could get the driveline. (A buddy of mine parted the car out and still has it) I was wondering about the radiator also. Did they use different ones between Hemi cars and sixes? I really appreciate the input everyone. 

As long as you are going with the engine swap I suggest you also swap the radiator to a new aluminum 3 core. Check with Champion Radiators for dimensions. If I were doing the swap I would try and find a suitable automatic. I have bad knees and clutching is an issue for me. Plus at my age I don't think I will be doing any burnouts or drag racing. It would be good to find out what is wrong with the original spitfire engine.

• Thanks 1

Since you are fond of the L6 then open it up and take a look. If it is junk then you still have the option of rebuilding it

or replacing it with another 25" piece.

The DeSoto should fit with little issue except for engine mounts as noted.  IDK what changes would have been made

to things like steering and such since the steering wheel is in the same general location as a V8 car and front suspension

is the same layout. The only issue that comes to mind would be the inner fender wells.

Call my good friends at www.wildcatmopars.com  and ask about a 25" engine.

Again, thank you all for your advice. The first thing I will do is check out the L6 in the car and see if its a goner or not. 

Wayfarer, I know the crew up at Wildcat too. If my engine is dead,  I will be seeing if they have an 25" flatties laying around.