1939 3 window plymouth coupe

Tony Wise

16 hours ago, Andydodge said:

HK....thats a real nice gasser......btw your dad was Harley?.............so was my dad, and my grandson is also a Harley...good name.....lol............we must have more info on that Willys........an Olds, 394?......A/G so I assume it injected?.............more info...we need more info............lol..........also those rear wheels are unusual, 4 spoke but 5 stud............do you know the brand?.........and when did your dad have the car?.............the general "feel" of the pic says 64/65..........I like gassers, have built quite a few models of them over the years...........andyd

Andy

I am a Harley as well, but have always gone by Kirk my middle name. Both my grandfather and dad were Harleys so 3 of us in the same room could get confusing. Honestly, I dont recall if the Olds was injected or not. That photo was from about 68 so I was only about 8 at the time. They are unique wheels and I have never seen any others.

Edited by hkestes41

hkestes41-

Rear wheels appear to be possibly the early Mag wheels (made from cast magnesium) hence the mag name. Many other companies started making look a likes out of aluminum, way cheaper!

Ever seen magnesium burn?? Almost impossible to put out with average fire extinguishers!

That is about the rear wheels only.

The fronts look like Mopar with all the holes in the. Most likely wheel that fit and a narrow, light tire for low front end weight.

All interest back then was weight transfer to the rear tires for traction. Ignore the aero.

Remember a few tried weights that could slide under acceleration. Started with weight to the front and moved rearward as the car launched .

Outlawed after one season.?

DJ

I have read a few articles about that weight transfer issue, apparently it was quite common to run a tubular rear nerf or push bar of 3-4" diameter and fill it with lead as well as the commonly mounted in the trunk, truck battery........have also heard of an included spare tyre filled with concrete..........weight, we need more weight...........lol..........andyd    

Over here in the land down under, I could not get a gasser style registered on the road as our laws are a lot stricter then in in the US. But worth a thought.

I was considering 6.4L hemi out of a current model 300c with the auto, diff and computer. Also thinking about suicide doors and airbags. But no chop top.

Still need a grill for the 39 Plymouth so if anyone can help ???

• 1 year later...

Hi Tony,

Great to see another 39 Plymouth. do you follow the face book page 1930-1950 dodge Plymouth in Australia sight?

I have been collecting body numbers of the 3 window coups. do you know what your body number is?

the lowest we have is 2 and the highest i think was 27.

Finally got a couple of pics sent to me of the 39 Plymouth 5 Window Oz Coupe thats just about finished, tho' as they were taken in the mates garage they don't show the side profile well but you can see the centre pillar......this car was originally built in the 1960's as a hotrod then went missing for 20 or more years and Rob the owner now bought it about 10 years ago as a basket case & has completely rebuilt it, has Holden front suspension, 440 big block, Torqueflite, etc, paint is the latest Mazda red pearl, upholstery is next to be done...........andyd    

RobsCoupe2.jpg

RobsCoupe.jpg

Edited by Andydodge