The death of wire nuts.

casper50

I think I will stick with the wire nuts for overall simplicity, ease to tuck into tight places etc etc...different sizes is not a problem to me in the wire nut selection...think these will be restrictive with tight applications...there is NEVER a use for these in automotive field except maybe mock up and test, after that, solder and sleeve your connections...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

there is NEVER a use for these in automotive field except maybe mock up and test

I tend to agree, I looked at the link to see what we were talking about, My first thought is neither will be on my car/truck ... then read pa post.

I will add that this will create controversy, many think that loder does not belong in automotive as it is not flexible enough for vibrations.

Some say we need crimp on butt connectors for automotive

Some will only use solid metal connectors with a shrink tube sleeve  <--- I like this one

The other connectors have a plastic sleeve on them, basically you smash them flat and hope they work. 1 in 20 may fail in a few years, rewire a whole car and adds up.

While the others will work as long as you own the automobile

I've seen those the last couple years in the RV industry. They use them only because they are faster on the assembly line  then any other connector you can get. And no tools needed besides the wire strippers. Definitely interior use only.

A simpler version of this was supplied by our slip ring vendor, and there were issues with them on the floor and in the field...sub-assembly had trouble "threading the needle" towards the end of the work day, and the occasional warranty claim root cause analysis showed that the acrylic body could hold condensation then freeze, splitting the body, during transitional weather during late fall and late winter...compact? Yes, but not perfect :cool: