Oiling for first start

Conn47D24

Or a filtered one of those^^^^

Engine Pre Oiler tank (4).JPG

• Like 2

image.png.d8614c83ee4faf91c4b8ce8952844243.pngEverybody needs one of these anyway.  Saves a ton of money on spraying engine cleaner, tire cleaner etc.  And, with a simple little adapter hose screwed onto it and into the oil gallery, does a good job of prelube.  lifters and cam get a coat of a specific lube for that purpose. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Follow up on this post:

Today I got to turn this modified oil pump with a drill and cut off screwdriver.

First I connected the orginal oil pressure gauge . Its been in a box for over 30 years.

Slowly built up to a steady but not too fast speed.

The gauge went right up to 45 lbs .

Success!

No leaks found.

Will run it again before setting dizzy.

• Like 1

Clay:  Glad that you had success with the modified oilpump technique to prime the engine.  Hey I have sent in my registration packet for the 2019 Hershey event and we will have the same to sites as last year OAD 7/8.

Hope you can make it again and stop by for a beer or something else to drink and take a rest of your legs from walking all of the fields.

I started my 39 Desoto today in the garage to get it up to temp. I have to pull the left rear drum have a leak and I have a good feeling it is a wheel cylinder because the brake pedal was soft today.  But it has been to cold to work in an unheated garage when sitting on concreate 

Hey another suggestion is to go out and get some standard green antifrezze and then alsopump in a pint of radiator antirusting and water pump lube.  It is a milky white liquid and keeps the antirusting agents in the AF up to spec and also keeps the rust from building up in the block. I put a pint in every fall just to protect the cast iron block and rad.  It is made by prestone and also gunk and can get it at NAPA or any good auto supply store 

Keep in touch.

Rich Hartung

Make sure to use Dino oil for break-in... never synthetic.

• Like 3

Rich

Planning to be at Hershey again in the Fall. Def stopping to see you again.

Ive been heating my garage with a propane top mounted heater. 55 60 is fine for 3-4 hours out there.

My block is still dry. Havent set the radiator and water plumbing yet. 

Hoping for a warm day so i can flush first then fill with AF etc.  

As for break in oil.   I have to look at the Royal Purple label.

Not sure if it's Dino or test tube.

• 2 months later...

I'm putting together another 218 flathead now for my B3B. Royal Purple 10W-30 sounds like a fine way to go for the break-in process. After that I'm planning to use Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 for daily use. Since both of these products are high ZDDP oils, why can't either one be used for break-in or for daily driving. Is there some extra-special ingredient other than high zinc in break-in oil?

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
correction