Surprise! My Plymouth Wagon Is a Covergirl

Bob Riding

I was absentmindedly thumbing through the latest issue of Old Cars Weekly, when I saw an ad saying there is still time to buy your "Old Cars Weekly Riders Ride 2019 Calendar" The B&W picture was a woodie that had to be a '40-'41 Plymouth. They are the only production woodie wagons that I know of that all four doors are full rectangles -all other have a dogleg cutout for the second set of doors. As I looked closer I realized that it was MY wagon! I had forgotten that I sent pictures to OCW six months ago for the 2019 calendar, but they never told me I had made the cover! Below is a picture of when I found the wagon on eBay in 2003, and last year after I had it pretty much finished. So I guess I should say get your calendar now?

IMGP0248-1.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

oldcarscalendarP10.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I took my time and spent a lot of time searching for parts. One of the hardest choices was what color to paint it? Mother Chrysler made the '40 wagons (and earlier) kind of like a beige blob going down the road -beige paint, tan roof, non-contrasting wood, yellow brackets etc. One of my goals was to highlight the craftsmanship of the era, so I went with the darker green, contrasting ash structural pieces with mahogany panels, and powdered coated the brackets and seat frames with bronze, and copper. Found a local upholster who duplicated the original french stitch on the seats. Tom Gagner ('41 Plymouth woodie owner) and I had the original window sliding knobs reproduced, by an old radio restorer, etc. Details are what make a good restoration, and Forum member's advice kept me from quitting many times! All yours now for only $4.95!

ply4384_edited.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

image001.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The choice of and use of wood with metal is very, very nice. That wood cabin is essentially a piece of quality furniture on wheels. Great work, Bob. 

Edited by pflaming

Beautiful restoration job.... now you are being rewarded for all you're hard work!

Congratulations.... you deserve it!

Good friend Jim Dugue' introduced me to this forum after buying a '40 woody pile of kindling about 100 years ago.  He's still working on it.  I sent him this link for inspiration.  His will be spectacular too,......some day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrwrstory said:

Good friend Jim Dugue' introduced me to this forum after buying a '40 woody pile of kindling about 100 years ago.  He's still working on it.  I sent him this link for inspiration.  His will be spectacular too,......some day. 

I know Jim and received lots of great advice from him. I visited his place in SoCal and rode in his '40- very impressive guy with tons of knowledge on Plymouths, woodies and I'm sure many other topics. His woody is featured in a couple of books.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Hi Mr. Riding,

I am curious about the green paint on the crowl, fenders etc.  Whats the name and technical specs on that blend?

I wanted to use a Chrysler color but never found one that I thought went well with the wood. My buddy had just painted his 1946 Chevy pickup Brewster green and I liked it. "Green was the standard color of early truck manufactures and Brewster Green was Chevrolet's choice. If you didn't order one of Chevrolets other no-cost color options, you received Brewster Green. Over 60% of Chevrolet trucks 1936-1946 left the factory with this medium to darker green color." Jim Carter 1932-74 Truck parts sells the paint Jim Carter Truck Parts. Not sure what the paint code is.

IMG_5413.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Bob, I believe it was 2007 when I paid you a visit. If you had the woody at that time I did not get any pictures. Sure turned out like new. Great job!

I think you were selling this car about the time I met you.  

meandodge.jpg

Yes, you have a good memory Don! I sold it to an 80 yr old guy from Alaska, who drove it back from my house in CA to Seattle, then put it on a boat to Juneau. He then proceeded to drive it as far as the roads would take him up Mt McKinley (Denali). Tough old guy, (and Dodge).

here's what the woodie looked like when you were here. I was still in my parts collecting phase- not sure why I didn't show it to you then. Fun visit!

IMGP2281-1_1.jpg

• Thanks 1