Head Gasket Recommendation

bvilletrack

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality head gasket?  I'm in the process of replacing a blown head gasket on a 265.  The old head gasket was a Fel-Pro with one side copper and the other fiber.  I did use copper spray sealer on the copper side and left the "blue" side dry.  But after a short time of use the copper side seems to have separated from the fiber and allowed coolant to leak into the space between Cylinder 1 and 2.  Trying to figure out if I got a defective Fel-Pro gasket and if I would be better off using a double-sided copper gasket such as Best Gasket 510C.  Thoughts?  Thanks, DW

before replacing a newly and low mileage gasket due to failure, read the crime scene and determine reason for failure....is your head flat without warpage issues and the block also flat and even....get a good machinist parallel bar and verify you are not installing a new gasket on a less than optimum engine component...

• Like 1

Yep, the first thing I did was to check for flatness using a machinist bar.  Checked both directions on the block and the head.  Everything is within spec.  Trying

to figure out what when wrong continues to be a challenge.

ok...the components are ready for a new gasket.....DO ENSURE...that you retorque the head after a heat cycle as specified in the manual....it is critical to allow proper squish of the material for sealing..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• 3 weeks later...

Also, some of the threaded holes go into the water jacket.  Be sure to use sealant on the head bolts that go into those holes.  I believe Permatex high-temperature thread sealant has been used successfully by many for this purpose.

Edited by Matt Wilson

no copper spray on PermaTorque head gaskets..  i looked it up on felpro site.   if block and head are flat,  check torque wrench calibration ,  the big snap on trucks have a machine to check.  .  copper spray ,  is a band aid to other problems... head and gasket need to be able to move around.   the gaskets you buy today   are light years ahead of '49  gaskets... why did you change head gasket in the first place?  was it blown between 1 and 2? 

FelPro just needs an out if the gasket fails and you used anything on it.  These engines have imperfections and nobody is about to yank and disassemble the engine for a plaining when a little copper spray will do the trick.  

These flatheads ads were always tough on head gaskets, and if you do power improvements it can be a little worse.  Spray it up, put a new gasket in and enjoy the road.  Also get new head bolts from Summit if you haven’t already...they do stretch