Getting old engine ready to fire

Lou Earle

Bob T asked me what I did to get an old engine started

Here is what I sent him - a method i am now using and it has worked well on about 4 engines

What I would do:

DO NOT CRANK

1 drain oil

2 put about 3 quarts kerosene or diesel in the oil pan

3 blow air down the oil fill and dipstick tube with long rod on your air blower from compressor to agitate the liquid. This should loosen up and put in suspension any gunk that might be around oil pick up

4 drain and then add 4 quarts or 5 to the oil pan.

5 remove plugs.

6 go to farm supply and get big hypodermic syringe and needle. Bend the needle to 1/2 moon shape

7 fill syringe with marvel mystery oil and then insert it too the plug hole aiming the needle to the center of the engine ans squirt some oil in the cylinder

You should be able to get most but not all,because the intake valve Will be open on a couple and blocking your ability to get the syringe in. then bump it with the starter to just move it some so you can complete putting oil in the cyls. Let it sit a bit overnight is best

8 with the plugs out try and crank or turn it over - watch your oil pressure and when the gage starts moving you have gotten oil to the main and rod bearings and ready to start.

9 then hook an electric fuel pump pumping form a gallon can, to the carb and also pour some gas into the carb and try and fire it up. Of course I put in new plugs auto lite 45r- points and condenser but not new wires- why not because I can spend that money later if it is a good engine and I have Had 50 + year old wires work just fine.

If it starts up and is good I would then drop the pan and clean it and then change the filter because u are getting ready to rock and roll

As to sea foam If i get the car going then I put a gallon of gas and about 10 ozs of sea foam in a jug and run the car for about an 1/2 hour making sure it get hot. I have saved many a carb rebuild buy doing this.

Also I would grease the water pump well before starting it is probably fine and this pre greasing can prevent pre mature wear.

Anything else I can help you with?

Anyone else got Any other ideas on how to get the flattie started and running?

Lou

I did this with a friend for the engine I have right now. it smoked a little (Black) last time I fired her. I think is the old gas it has. I 'm hoping that when it's drivable again, I won't have to worry about the smoking hopefully it just goes away with clean gas. I did change the filters twice to get the old gunk out of there and so far it's clean but still smokes when I step on it. But thanks for posting it's needed knowledge that can save an engine!:)

Number one son has a 48 Pilothouse that starts and runs just fine after sitting many years - but it smokes very badly - blue/white smoke. Any clever tips for getting stuck rings to loosen up? He's been starting it and letting it run to operating temperature several timies in hopes of getting the smoke to abate somewhat. Still no joy, though . . . . . .:)

AND any good ideas for getting a stuck flathead to loosen up? One of his larger truck enginies is soaiking just now with stuff in all the cylinders, but will not turn over. Wisdom and advice are solicited for this problem.

Thanks

• 3 years later...

Hi Lou,

Read your info. on getting an old flathead to run. I tried it on my

1950 flathead 6 that's been sitting for over 30 years. I got it to run really

smooth but it smokes like hell. No vapor coming from oil breather or vent

tube, just heavy white smoke that smells oily from the exhaust. I have a

steady vacuum reading of 22 but I'm baffled about the smoke? I have tried

marvel mystery oil in the cylinders but still smokes. I don't see any traces

of coolant in the oil but could this be a head gasket problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank's

Frank

usually white smoke is water, blue or blue white is oil, head gasket would not produce oil smoke in a flathead, would have to come from the rings. check your compression, but with steady 22' vacuum, should be good.could be head gasket as water does go through, and it may have an oily smell. pop radiator cap and see if you have bubbles in the coolant, check the plugs too, one that is abnormally clean would be the one pushing water.

Oh, OK.......that post from Lou is now 3 years old.

Advice he gave regarding the 54 Plymouth that had been

sitting for quite a few years.

Did several of those things.......never did get that motor to turn

over. Sold the car to a young fellow in Springfield, MO, who was

going to rebuild or replace that engine. Sent him an email a few

weeks ago, but no reply. He had started doing some things to it

at first, but no idea where he is with it now.

Looked like this while I had it......Not a real bad car with a bit of

work. Dark green bottom, light green top, tinted glass.

101_7950.jpg