Amtrak questions

Todd B

Four of us plan on leaving Chicago and going to California on the northern route the first week in March. Then after spending time In California sightseeing, we plan on flying home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because none of us of ever rode a train before. I am concerned I will get extremely bored on the train for two days. 

One thought we had was possibly spending a day or two in Denver. 

• Like 2

You will not be bored if you travel Denver to SCramento up long canyon accessed only by foot and train. The views across Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska change every 100 miles as the route climbs from near sea level in Chicago to 5200 in Denver. 

In Nebraska the route is down the center of the Platte river a very scenic ride. 

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

My auntie would Not fly but loved the Amtrak train ride fro No. Ca. to Va. Also south train trips (Amtraki) in Ca. Bay area to So. Cal.

She said plenty on beautiful country to see but in winter?

May not be so much.

The only change train station she hated was in Sacramento, Ca.

One other thing Never leave any valuables out if you leave you seat.

On one trip someone in her car lost a laptop as they went to the restroom.

Enjoy our country!

DJ

• Thanks 1

I have never ridden Amtrak....could be a hoot....I would think there would be so much scenery to view it would be impossible to get bored.  My only train experience has been limited to German rail system....Augsburg to Berchtesgaden, Augsburg to Garmisch-Paterkirchen and then a one day round trip from Augsburg to Munich for the Oktoberfest...

Never been on one but I have heard they Do have Bars in most if not all plus regular food servings in the dining car(s). Plus sleeping cars on longer trips. Like most travel the higher the price the nicer and private the accommodations

I like beer so where is the restroom? , is it close to the bar?!  ?

Snacks are available-but where/how I do not know .

DJ

Been on a few Amtrak trains over the years, in general I find it a relaxing way to go. Just don't expect to arrive on time as they are at the whim of the freight railroads which prioritize freight trains over passenger traffic. On a long distance train I'd allow an extra day at your destination for late arrival.

The ones I've been on go on generally more scenic routes than the freeway which makes them a good way to see the country. The Coast Daylight between LA and San Jose is great. I haven't been through the Sierra by train but years ago took one between Salt Lake and Denver which has some incredible scenery. Should be a nice way to cross the country on a relaxed vacation.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dennis_MN said:

https://sites.google.com/site/dennisjsullivan/train-story?authuser=0

Read my  story of riding the train.  I still love trains.  Consider taking the real northern route through North Dakota and Montana

Dennis Sullivan

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing. 

Arlo Guthrie paints a nice scene in his song "City of New Orleans"  again, I think it would be at minimum an excellent adventure and if turns out less than your expectations, its something you are not forced to repeat.  I say go for it if you traveling commercially at worst, carry a good book as a back up plan.

I imagine you've already researched travel accommodations, but I'd echo that you'll get what you pay for.  Our daughter and son-in-law took Amtrak from Albuquerque, NM to Portland, ME in the fall.  They travelled on a package deal that got them basically a small room to themselves and meals.  They loved the trip.  My brother and I travelled by Amtrak from Laredo, TX to St. Louis, MO in the early '70's on cut-rate fares, just had bench seats and had to buy meals separately in the dining car, the scenery made the three day trip quite tolerable even for a couple of 12 year olds.  Remember that the railroad routes were there first, you'll see scenery that you'll never see by car.  Their schedules are almost always messed up due to the aforementioned railroad priorities. You do have to be careful with valuables, trains are still relatively inexpensive ways to go a long way if one isn't in a hurry, my former agency inspected the Lakeshore Limited and Empire Builder (In PA and NY) on a regular basis, there were occasionally some pretty nasty folks and conditions on the low fare cars.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, Todd B said:

....Then after spending time In California sightseeing, we plan on flying home..... 

Sooo.....does this mean....????

48D

• 3 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, Todd B said:

Four of us plan on leaving Chicago and going to California on the northern route the first week in March. Then after spending time In California sightseeing, we plan on flying home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because none of us of ever rode a train before. I am concerned I will get extremely bored on the train for two days. 

One thought we had was possibly spending a day or two in Denver. 

so...... how was it?

• Like 2

after much research I realized I couldn’t let someone else in control of driving me over 50 hours.  We ended up flying to Arizona, renting a suburban and spending time with three different family members and two good friends who winter there.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Todd B said:

after much research I realized I couldn’t let someone else in control of driving me over 50 hours.  We ended up flying to Arizona, renting a suburban and spending time with three different family members and two good friends who winter there.  

I was just curious, thought about you last month.... folks to the south had a little hitch in the geta- long

180 people stranded for around 40hrs https://weather.com/news/news/2019-02-25-winter-storm-ryan-impacts-pacific-northwest

I took an AMTRAK from Schenectady NY to Lawrence Kansas a couple of years ago to visit my son...it took 29 hours total...a 6 hour layover in Chicago...I would do it again...my biggest gripe was the first car was steaming hot most of the time and you could not open a window to get any air...flying is quicker by about 23 hours...riding in train seems a little less stressful tho.

my 2 cents