How to determine if I have "Fluid Drive"?

Dodgeed

My '51 pickup truck has '53 rear fenders, and some on the Forum have pointed out one or two other items in the cab which really belong to a '53 not a '51. One of the items I've got some curiosity about is that it has an emblem on the side of the hood which says "Fluid Drive". I thought Fluid Drive was a type of semi automatic transmission. I don't have anything close to that on this truck. Its a three on a tree, and requires double clutching to avoid grinding the gears (which, BTW, I've become somewhat good at).

So, my question is, how can I determine if this truck has Fluid Drive?  I'm thinking that the previous owner used most, if not all, of a '53 cab, and the emblem "Fluid Drive" was already there, and it was retained. 

What does the all knowing MOPAR Flathead Truck Forum think??

drive to a off road no traffic area with a down hill grade....set car is first gear....do not set the brake.....do not get out of the car....see if the car will roll down hill....fluid drive has no direct coupling engine to tranny.....else, simply look beneath and verify you components

8 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

Simply start the engine, put the transmission in gear, press the brake pedal and release the clutch. If the engine dies you do not have fluid drive. If the engine continues to run you do have fluid drive.

where is the fun it that...…?????   

The trucks used Fluid Drive with the column shift 3 speed and the floor shift 4 speed from ‘50-‘53. Also in ‘53 the FD was offered with the semi-auto trans, but then it would have a Truck-O-Matic badge on the hood. 

Tim and Don offered quick tests to know if you have FD without crawling under the truck. However, either way you should not need to double clutch your column shift 3 speed. If you do, then the synchronizers in your trans are bad. 

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

The trucks used Fluid Drive with the column shift 3 speed and the floor shift 4 speed from ‘50-‘53. Also in ‘53 the FD was offered with the semi-auto trans, but then it would have a Truck-O-Matic badge on the hood. 

Tim and Don offered quick tests to know if you have FD without crawling under the truck. However, either way you should not need to double clutch your column shift 3 speed. If you do, then the synchronizers in your trans are bad. 

I was previously told that sychronizers didn't get installed until the '52 year model. You're saying that they were in the '51 model as well? For sure, I don't have sychronizers as going both up through the gears, and back down, they will grind if I don't double clutch. 

5 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

drive to a off road no traffic area with a down hill grade....set car is first gear....do not set the brake.....do not get out of the car....see if the car will roll down hill....fluid drive has no direct coupling engine to tranny.....else, simply look beneath and verify you components

I will try this the next time the weather clears around here, but, I recall sitting the truck on a very slight grade, in first gear, hand brake off, ignition off, and the truck rolled forward a couple of feet until it settled, which was amazing to me, as I've never had any vehicle roll when in first gear. This episode is what started me on the quest to repair the stuck hand brake, which lead to other issues, as you've seen in my other posts. 

With FD you better have a good E-Brake or you might have to go looking for your vehicle you parked earlier....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dodgeed said:

I was previously told that sychronizers didn't get installed until the '52 year model. You're saying that they were in the '51 model as well? For sure, I don't have sychronizers as going both up through the gears, and back down, they will grind if I don't double clutch. 

3 speed transmissions in Dodge trucks have synchros since at least the 40's, and with the introduction of the column shift 3 speed in 1950 they certainly would be synchronized. (at least in 2nd and 3rd) It was the 4 speed trans that remained a spur gear type up through '50-'51. The B3 trucks were the first to get a synchro 4 speed.

• Like 1