Mopars in Oz

Andydodge

Took these pics of various Mopars at the New England Rod & Custom Clubs Smoke & Iron Rod Run over the 1st/2nd December.......based in the city of Armidale in New South Wales this area is known as the New England area and is about 3hrs drive from my town of Grafton.......anyway these were a few of the mopars I found there, the channeled 34 Coupe runs a small block mopar, that front end is from a Peugeot, the 37 Plymouth Coupe is an ex US car, this body style was never sold in Oz, the 48 Plymouth 2 dr is also an ex USA car, it has late model GM Holden front suspension and Holden V8 and was painted by the owner, not sure what is in the Oz sourced 1949 Plymouth with the chopped top, the black chopped top pickup I am unsure whether its a Fargo or Dodge, from memory it had a small block, the red 1946 Plymouth Coupe was an ex USA car complete with about a heap of Bonneville and a Montana Dodge Boys decals on the drivers side rear window, it ran a twin carbed 230 and the final pic a 46-48 DeSoto was a strange one, it was RHD but supposedly an import tho it may have been an original 1948 import, it was a Fluid Drive car, lowered but otherwise a stocker..............Andy Douglas            

P1010356.JPG

P1010359.JPG

P1010360.JPG

P1010358.JPG

P1010362.JPG

P1010363.JPG

P1010364.JPG

• Like 5

Off the top of my head the worlds RHD countries include Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Japan, New Guinea and various islands in the Pacific...Sweden was till the mid 60's I think then swapped to LHD...............andyd 

Another addition - the U. S. Virgin Islands!

On the islands of St. Croix, St. Thomas, and St. Johns motorists drive on the left side of the road with LHD vehicles! Probably a legacy from Denmark, who sold the islands to the U.S. in 1917. My wife's from St. Croix, and it takes getting used to.

Walt

The abbreviation for Australia is Aus. pronounced =Oz.

See it now?

DJ

Andy has got it completely wrong. It's not Oz, its Stralya.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TIm,

It is  Oz. NOT oz. OR  OZ.

Thought about the US  ounce  usage (oz.) while I was posting.

Aussies love shortening words with lots of local vocabulary uses.

I needed the locals when I was there for about 9 months to school me (translate English to Aussie ) on what the "H" they were sayin" - often- -plus the semi English accent.

DJ

11 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

TIm,

It is  Oz. NOT oz. OR  OZ.

Thought about the US  ounce  usage (oz.) while I was posting.

Aussies love shortening words with lots of local vocabulary uses.

I needed the locals when I was there for about 9 months to school me (translate English to Aussie ) on what the "H" they were sayin" - often- -plus the semi English accent.

DJ

Mate you are going to upset a few blokes with this line.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, maok said:

Mate you are going to upset a few blokes with this line. 

Hey the US blokes as you may say have a lot of areas of the USA that have different way of sayin' things.

Imagine a Ca. born and raised 21 Year old kid moving to S.C. USA. (very South) I was pretty lost with conversations at first, but I actuality like this interchange a challenge!

We all have Our versions of "English".

Do you go to England to study English- or is there anything truthfully "English" anymore?

Maybe just the local versions?

Glad it is/was my native tongue as I grew up!  I speak California English most times!

English is one of the worst languages to learn I have heard!  ?

DJ

There were a thew Desoto's imported back in the 40s along with d24 Dodge's . Was told they came in through Sydney dealer not sure who and that most were diplomatic cars . Funny thing is that all pictures of the Desoto's ive seen were all green 

Hey...........fellas, mates, guys, cobbers, blokes, galahs, friends...........lol...........all good..........I answer to many and most things................andyd.

............SP15C......you've reminded me of a mates 1948 DeSoto over 40 yrs ago, this was the 1st Fluid Drive car I had seen and you're right....it was the same green as that one at the run, I remember that it was supposedly an import also and that as distinct from the Oz assembled 1946-48 Dodge,Plymouth and DeSotos which had the short front fenders, 2 piece rear windows and exposed front door hinges, Peters DeSoto had the fenders going into the doors and the other features that this Armidale car had..............wonder if its the same one.....or maybe your DeSoto is............the guy that owned it was Peter Buckingham, he lived in Padstow in Sydney, this was around the early to late 1970's, I haven't seen Peter since the 1980's..........lol............Andy Douglas..    

Andy i have the Oz DeSoto but as far as i know they all came with single rear window Have had two and one had the 48 badges on and the other had a 42 rear badge also out of the 4 i had two were wrecks for spares and the side trims were different . Was told that after the war  T J Richards did not have enough money to fully tool up for the new models and used their 1940 bodies and grafted the styling cues from the new models to the front ends from Canada . Makes it real fun to find body parts .

SP15C....so is your car and the others you've had been TJ Richards bodies?, I thought the long fenders, etc indicated an imported body or car.......andyd

yes Andy TJ richards body for me still would like a Long body one day and yes the long fenders are fully imported cars  cheers Gareth