Clunk from the right rear

MarkB2PW

Looking for some help in identifying a clunk I have in the right rear of my 1948 P15.  The car is all stock.  If I make a right turn I hear a clunk from somewhere near the right rear wheel well and the gas tank.  If I make a left turn, same thing, same place.  The shocks are old, but, not loose.  The exhaust is old but all tight.  The gas tank is an aftermarket purchased on Ebay last year.  The leaf springs don't seem to be loose.

I've been under the probably 10 times car shaking everything to find this noise.  No luck.

So, I put myself in the trunk and had my son drive it down the road swerving left & right.  I could hear it just below me, but, I still can't find it.  It sounds like a loose wrench hitting the side of the frame on every movement left or right.

Could something be loose in the gas tank?

Any suggestions?

Mark

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

What size tires are you running? Are the tires radial? Are the tires hitting the inner fender when the car makes a turn?

205/75-15.  I just checked. I have about 2.5" clearance all around between the fender and the tire.  I don't think that's it. I'm going to keep looking.

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

Whats the history on the wheel bearings and diff service?

When I replaced the brakes I greased&checked the wheel bearings and everything felt ok.  Differential has not been touched, other than changing the fluid.  I've never had the cover off.

56 minutes ago, greg g said:

Shock or spring bushings?  I put in new spring bushings couple years back.  Cured a couple ailments and noises.

Shock bushings look ok and are tight.  Spring bushings look terrible.  That could be the problem.  Are they hard to change?

The rear spring bushings are generally much easier than the front of the rear spring bushes to change........the rear ones should be a rubber bush pushed in from each side of the spring eye and chassis eye with the fixed plate/bolt inserted then the rubber bushes and plate and nuts to hold it all together...........the front rear spring "bush" can be much harder to replace as its a press in fit into the spring eye, thats assuming it doesn't decide not to come out, I have had to make up a press arrangement to push the old bush out, the installation of a new bush is generally easier but in doing all this you have to support the spring somehow otherwise it springs back into its shorter self............lol.........my oz 2 cents worth............andyd   

MarkB2PW,

Take one or both of the rear wheels off (Floor jack it up by the pumpkin). Observe the inner wheel wells at the top closest to the body. Are there swirl marks from the tires rubbing?

When you did your rear brakes did you torque the drum back on at say 142FT LBS? If its loose may be the problem. My book states that as a minimum. (Page 311. 1942 - 1948)

Shop Manual.

Tom

I'm sure I didn't torque the drum to 142 ft-lbs so I will go back and do that.  It's going to be about another week or two,  before I get to work on the '48 again, but I'll start with the drums.  I'll let you know what happens.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 2:13 PM, greg g said:

Shock or spring bushings?  I put in new spring bushings couple years back.  Cured a couple ailments and noises.

Yep.

Cured it.

New leaf Spring Shackle Bushings.

My son was over on Christmas and grabbed the rear fender well and rocked the car with all his might.  I was underneath of course, and could hear the popping coming from the leaf spring shackle bushing.  So I replaced them today.  All better.

Thanks again for your help.

Mark