Chrysler New Yorker 54 Transmission and Power Steering Oil

Lino_Chrysler_54

Hi ,

I am a newbie here.. and need some help.1-29949.jpg.acd604b0fd41e77df7499f06284d7a54.jpg1-29949.jpg.acd604b0fd41e77df7499f06284d7a54.jpg

I have a Chrysler New Yorker 1954 and wish to change the automatic gearbox oil. What oil do you recommend. I also have a leaking power steering pump and wish to top it up with the correct fluid but I dont know which oil/fluid to use.

One last thing I wish to get a service manual for my car but I cant find any. A copy would also do.

Thanks to whoever reads this :)

3-Nov.2016 Chrysler's first day driven on our island.jpg

• Like 1

Lino, welcome aboard from Oz........as Plymouthy says there are manuals on ebay regularly........where exactly are you?..............just a guess but are you in the USA?......also I assume your car is a 331 Hemi and Powerflite 2 speed auto............my understanding is that the Powerflite gearbox used a Dextron, Type A type of trans fluid same as the later Torqueflites and I also think this is what is used in the power steering reservoir.......BUT I am no expert, have looked in a couple of books I have, a Motors and a Glenns manuals............if possible can you give some more info regarding your car which I might add, looks VERY NICE...........Andy Douglas    

19 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Morning,  E-bay has a host of manuals for sale on there now.  Quick visit there will get you what you need...and it is just in time for Christmas, maybe a spouse can arrange to gift it.

Thanks Andy....the car is in Malta.. :)  The first pics are from the USA and the other one is in Malta when it arrived..The gearbox is the powerflite 2 speed and as you said , Dexron was used...But can I use any ATF grade automatic transmission oil such as this available locally:

http://nipparts.com.mt/Amsoil/automatic/signature-series-ATF-4

Thanks for your comments/help

best regards

Alan

Alan........I have an Oz 1962 Chrysler Royal cast iron torqueflite in my 1940 Dodge, its been there since I installed it and the corresponding 318 polysphere V8 in 1973 and I have used Dextron  2 or 3 Auto trans fluid since then without any issue, so in your car I would ONLY use Detron III or an Automatic Transmission Fluid that specifically states that it is the EQUIVALENT TO DEXTRON III................now I'm not sure but does your car have external transmission coolant lines going to a trans cooler, lower radiator tank or is it aircooled as I understand some of the Powerflite transmissions were?...........if it does have external lines, a seperate trans cooler would be a worthwhile addition if it does not have one, also you can get an Auto trans FILTER, which looks like a fuel filter but is specifically to be installed in the external trans lines and will help to add some life to the transmission...............I normally get Dextron III in 4 or 5 litre containers, its much cheaper that way and at least here in Australia is commonly available at any good spare parts store............anyway.........got any more pics of the car?...........btw I assume the PS pump is one that attaches at the rear of the generator............andyd.    

Lino, absolutely beautiful car. i have a 54 Windsor convertible. i use Dex 111 in the tranny and any brand power steering fluid. i have the service manual if you need any info quick. i have been a fan of the 54 Chrysler since 1966 and have owned many of them. yours looks like the Newport model. my wife and i have thought about a trip to malta. would love to talk to you about the country.     capt den