Anti-theft devices

SteveR

5 hours ago, SteveR said:

I was talking to our neighbor and she said a girl down the street won the lottery. I don't know how much but it is said to be quite-a-bit. So much that they didn't want to put it in the bank and therefore declare it for tax purposes so, they bought a safe and put the money in there. Thieves used a Land-rover and drove through their front window and stole the safe. Makes you wonder haw anyone knew there was a safe there in the first place. I quess if you win the lottery best to keep your mouth shut and don't flaunt it or else there will be someone around to take it off you.

Sounds like an urban legend to me: The lottery people will report the income to the tax people regardless so that is not a reason to put the proceeds in a bank. And I am guessing that the lottery proceeds will be by check or electronic transfer that will require it going through a bank anyway.

From what I've read, it does seem that those winning a significant sum on the lottery often end up losing it all for one reason or another and end up in a worse position than they started. So I agree that not flaunting it is a good idea. Not that I'll ever be in a position to personally know as I don't buy lottery tickets. But if you feel inclined to mail me your winning ticket I probably wouldn't decline it. ?

With respect to a safe in the house, I knew a fellow who was pretty well off who wanted/needed a safe at home. He did not trust that the people working for the delivery firm wouldn't be casing the house. He decided that he did not want the people selling the safe or their delivery people to know where he lived, so he paid cash and rented a truck to bring it home himself. He had a number of sons so he could rustle up enough trustworthy manpower to wrestle it off the truck and into the house.

8 minutes ago, JerseyHarold said:

I wired a relay into the starter circuit on an automatic transmission car so that the engine wouldn't crank unless the cigarette lighter was pushed-in.  It drove the repair shop guys crazy.  You could also take the lighter with you for added security.

That was pretty damn smart,but how did you keep the lighter from popping out and shutting the car down when it got hot?

In case none of you has guessed,I doan no nuttin bout no lectricity.

Edited by knuckleharley

Carry 2-3 cigar lighters if so??  Back in the older parts books Mopar called those things cigar lighters.  (mopar top brass only smoked cigars not those low life cigarettes?).  ?

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

22 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Carry 2-3 cigar lighters if so??  Back in the older parts books Mopar called those things cigar lighters.  (mopar top brass only smoked cigars not those low life cigarettes?).  ?

DJ

so...………….…….C O P D     is actually short for Chyrsler Officials Pulmonary Disease

I would think that the foot starter would be a deterrent unless they are specifically targeting vintage cars and have a knowledge of those things.  I would go with coil kill switch, a disconnect for the battery.  Motion detector to turn night into day and a couple of those wildlife cameras to catch then in the act.  You should be able to get keys done by a locksmith but they only work on honest people. And why not a call to your local constabulary to report suspicious activity. When we go away for any length of time , we always call the police and ask them for some security check.  They even will print up  a report of visits and observations if we ask upon return.  So if you and your SAC mates asked to more patrols after dark they would likely oblige.

I'd recommend a .45 Auto but being as you're in England that might not be possible....so perhaps .455 Webley or one of those feather-light British Side By Side's in a 28 bore?  But, sure do wish there was a way to power up a car with a Weed-burner electric fence box....jackasses' would only touch it once!  Seriously, probably need to park it in close to the house, keep it locked and lit and at the least, remove the coil wire and rotor.

Edited by Sharps40