4101 horn relay

garyp

My 39  dodge business coupe haas a horn relay marked 4101 and has 3 connectors marked h s and b with the b term having a fuse on the relay. I have the lead from the voltage regulator going to the b term and the green wire from the steering column going going to the s terminal and the horn wires going to the h terminal but the horn does not sound if I take the wire from the b term and touch it on the h term the horns work I have looked through all of the past posts on this but can't seem to find a relay with just 3 terminals and have run a new wire through the steering column and cleaned and inspected the parts in the steering wheel. I have tried to hook up a horn button to the s terminal but don't know if I should hook up a wire from the other term on the new horn button and run it back to the s term on the relay or just run it to a ground. The service manual only shows 2 wires going to the horns the one from the voltage  regulator and the one from the steering column but does not show where to hook them up. Please help me I am going crazy trying to get this right.   Thanks Gary 

Check with a test light that you have battery voltage at the B terminal with a test light or volt meter.

Disconnect the wire from the other 2 terminals.

Make a ground wire from battery ground and touch that wire to the "H" terminal- does it make a closing (latching) sound?? If not try taking that ground wire to the "S" terminal- any clinking sound now?? Which ever one make the relay close ( the clicking sound) is the connection for the horn wire from the column.

If neither one closes the contacts- Make sure that the relay has a good ground. Take that test light connected to battery hot and touch the case of the relay- does it light up??

Some easy checks to start with.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

DJ I tried all the above I have power to the b term ran wire from battery ground and checked other terms but no sounds took cover off relay and checked but no action in relay when touching ground cable to other terms I am thinking bad relay what do you think.  Gary 

Did you make sure the relay itself has a good ground as suggested?

If you did get a different relay.

Oh ya, check it for function Before install using jumper wires hot and ground and a test light (meter).

That is My opinion for what is worth- free.

Best of luck with this.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

If  you plan to continue working on your own car...you will find the use of a multimeter invaluable.....it is well worth the little time it takes to learn how to use the meter.  But, like all things, to make it work, you have to understand how it works, else, how you know you fixed something.....love that line.....take your time...plan a few experiments, grab a few components for testing and measure your learned principles as  you go over the user manual.