Gas tank outlet barb fitting

Mike Davis

I recently purchased a repo gas tank for my 1948 Dodge convertible. The tank came without the outlet screw in hose barb. Unfortunately my old tank screw in hose barb is epoxied into the body of the old tank so I can’t salvage the old screw in barb. My research has revealed that I need a 5/16 hose barb with a 1/2 20 thread pattern with a inverted or bubble flair. I’m having a tough time finding one of these. Most I find have a pipe thread. Any ideas where I could find one of these? The guy I bought the tank from wants 30 dollars for one which is ridiculous. I have provided a picture of what I need. The challenge is finding one with 1/2 20 threads☹️

I have attached a picture of what I need. Any help is appreciated,

Mike

5D015908-FC05-4145-A88C-BF08F21158E8.jpeg

Are you sure that is the correct fitting?

It’s not the original arrangement due to the repairs to the tank and the installation of rubber hose from the tank to the rigid gas line. I believe the original setup was a bubble flair with a rigid line coming from the tank all the way up to the fuel pump. 

• Like 2

Mike is correct.  

What you can do is take a piece of 5/16 ready made tubing.    One of the flare nuts will be longer than the other.  If needs be, lathe off some of the leading threads.

Then make a "bubble" flare by using a double flaring tool but performing only half the procedure.   You can then connect this to your original gas line.

That barbed fitting shown above  is a 1/4" tapered pipe thread?

The original tank female threaded fitting  used a 1/2" X 20 straight thread tube nut and flared 5/16" tube plus the spacer ferrule not use on new tanks.....

So what I'm confused about is what type of female threaded fitting is used on the new replacement tank...  a tapered 1/4" pipe thread or 1/2" X 20 SAE straight thread fitting.

I think the new tanks use the straight 1/2" X 20 threaded fitting ..not pipe threads.

Yes, you are correct, the new tanks use the 1/2 20 thread. I found a edalmann 3/8 barb with a 5/16 1/2 20 thread from good old Napa.? if it works I will post the information for the good of the order? Thanks for the response!

• Like 1

I installed a replacement 1941-48  tank a couple years ago and had to get a special long fitting to hook up factory flared line to the new tank....USA Tanks I think i got that fitting from...

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
spelling

why not pay the $30 for the fitting and pretend the tank cost $30 more than you actually paid? i agree it is a ridiculous price, but considering the money we put into these cars the convenience would be worth it. i must admit that i searched for over 2 years to find universals for my 54 Windsor because i refused to pay $140 each for them from a vendor. then i found them for $340 each and wished i paid the $140. however, i recently got them for $65 each. worth the wait? only because my driveshaft did not fall out in the meantime. you might have been able to bargain a little since you bought the tank from him. price gouging venders are out there, but so are the good ones. paying a little extra can be worth it to keep the good ones in business. about twelve years ago i went through the same thing for a tank on a 53 imperial. i forget how it got solved, but it was not too expensive. that is a unique part.    capt den 

Ran into the similar situation with the repop. tank for my '50 coupe. Fuel leaking from the bubble flare thingy. It took me a while to figure out the sizes of fittings I needed. Here are the items I got from Summitt Racing (including part numbers) that have worked well without the need to mess with a flared fitting. Don''t know if this is the same size you need though.

Russell AN to Inverted Flare Fittings 640390 - Fitting, Straight, -8 AN Male to 1/2-20 in. Inverted Flare, Steel, Zinc RUS-640390

Fitting, Hose End, 90 Degree, -8 AN Female Threads, Aluminum, Black Anodized VPE-22908

Thanks to all for your responses and great insight. I finally found the piece I needed at Napa. I have attached a pic of the fitting and a picture of the package it came it. A 5 dollar fix and I’m on my way. ( Gates Brad’s 5/16 with a 1/2 20 thread and 3/8 hose barb! A little Permatex aviation sealant should provide a trouble free seal?

Cheers,

Mike