Fiberglass Fenders?

Dodgefran

I'm restoring my 38 Dodge Humpback RC delivery 1/2 ton.  I've been looking for front fenders for a few years.  They ranged from ones that were in worst shape than the two I have to $2,000 from a parts yard in Arizona.  The truck was in an accident and creased the passengers side fender.  I am going to try to repair the original (I am a beginner at metal work) some how.  But I would like to know if anyone on this forum has experience with fiberglass fenders?  I really could use some advise on this.  Thanks        Fran

IMHO fiberglass fenders suuuuck. They are not rugged, can be a challenge to mount straight and don't always paint up and wear like metal. BUT, I am a traditionalist and prefer metal. If fiberglass is all you have to work with, there you go. If the salvage fenders are in good shape, 2000 isn't  a terrible price. Does your current fender have the crease or the salvage fender? Depending on how deep, a crease is not a hard fix.

Thanks for the post.  The fender crease is in far enough to almost touch the spare tire well .  I'm going to have to learn as I go and not be afraid to make a mistake I guess.  I'm going to try to bring all that stretched metal back in from the point of the crease.  Wish me luck.  Thanks again.  That's a really nice looking truck you have there.

Do you have pictures? There a lot of different techniques for “moving” metal - some better than others for different situations. I am certainly not an expert but there are guys on here who are. If you take your time and work the crease out slowly, my experience has been that the metal tends to want to return to its original shape. I have seen incredible things done with just a heat gun and wet rag - you just need to know what to heat and what to cool.

• Like 1

there is a place in Cali, near 48Dodger (Tim) that has a ton of humpys....maybe ping 48Dodger and see if he can hook you up with Dave the guy in charge of the humpys.

• Like 1

Post some pictures of your truck.....I'm a big fan of the humpbacks and working on getting my own as we speak.

AND....I'm hitting a certain yard for friend of mine for a fender insert.

48D

• Like 1