Ban, BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE ?

old gold

11 hours ago, pflaming said:

And even panocheo is under investigation. First "Little Black Sambo", then "Huck Finn", then " Puff the Magic Dragon".  What next, Gingerbread Boy?" 

Unless he’s transgender gluten free and made in a nut free facility!

Well, read the lyrics, put your daughter or grand daughter in the woman's voice, and tell me what it has to do with Christmas... Then ask if the woman stays is the male voice going to be satisfied with listening to records till dawn.  

Greg, no argument here, however the song was written during a different culture, when innuendo was fun, not fact. They gonna ban the musical,  "Oklahoma" also?  "She went about as far as she could go!" ? ???

On 12/4/2018 at 1:38 PM, pflaming said:

Greg, no argument here, however the song was written during a different culture, when innuendo was fun, not fact. They gonna ban the musical,  "Oklahoma" also?  "She went about as far as she could go!" ? ???

Yup, something isn't right about the logic when the snowflakes try to change the rules after the fact. Going forward, yes, it might make sense to be sensitive to lyrics that in today's environment wouldn't pass muster. But, new rules can not be applied retroactively and used to ban innocent fun & intentions. It was a simpler time, back in the day, and the context of the song's lyrics need to be remembered. ?

On 12/4/2018 at 11:38 AM, pflaming said:

To each their own. To me and most others the song is representative of a couple who are familiar with each other in a sort of cat an mouse game. To read rape culture into the intent of the song is quite a bit of a stretch unless one is predisposed to that type thing. I find that the majority of people I hear complaining the loudest tend to be the rap music/Grand Theft Auto video game crowd where each of those does far more to promote a rape culture than one song written back in the 40's/50's. However we are told that rap music is artistic expression and Video Games are only fantasy, and neither causes anyone any harm. As far as I am concerned, if you don't like it, don't listen to it, and don't play the video game. But banning, there's a lot of dark history in the authoritarian, totalitarian premise of banning anything.  But hey, Maybe we could ban Led Zeppelin's The Lemon Song? That was pretty suggestive.

• Like 1

What amazes me is that after 74 years, all of a sudden over the past 2 Christmas's someone has decided that they are so smart that they figured out that the song is about data rape. Everyone before them was too stupid to realize this. Hundreds of thousands, might I say millions of people have all been wrong for YEARS, thus wrongfully enjoying the song. But suddenly the offended few are the only ones woke enough to realize this and now it must be banned. Here's a hint. When everyone else is wrong, and your the only one who's right, re-evaluate your perspective.

• 2 years later...

My wife and I set up the Christmas tree today...I just hauled the tree  and decorations out, Lillian does the decorating.... A little bit of snow falling here today... Put on some Christmas tunes and enjoyed listening once again to Johnny Mercer and Margaret Whiting singing."Baby It's Cold Outside" ..?

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’s not that cold and it has been raining, but it still Christmas to me!

C862763E-7FA3-490F-A34F-01BD69DA462F.jpeg.d033ad4766e5ed41ee6b2b688af54ee9.jpeg

we have cleared the decks and are prepared for a massive present landing this year. Tradition, tradition, tradition!

• Like 2