1956 Plymouth Suburban 230 fuel pump

Shaneyk88

Hello. I am new to the forum so forgive me if this is a repeated topic. I just acquired a 56 Suburban 2 door wagon with a 230 that I am trying to get running and I can’t seem to find a compatible fuel pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is the new project!!!

958FFDF6-FC36-4F8B-BE20-5A692EE625CE.jpeg

C51D5763-A665-4561-8D12-3A1A83B657F4.jpeg

5623965E-D43D-4934-8811-9637E902E267.jpeg

I'll admit I have never seen a 56 Plymouth wagon, however I had a 230 engine, albeit from a forklift, an Industrial engine and it had exactly the same fuel pump mounting boss on the side of the block as the 201 engine in the 1941 P11 coupe I had............and I had a couple of what I would have called normal side valve Plymouth/Dodge fuel pumps and thay fitted straight onto the 230's fuel pump mounting boss.............what sort of fuel pump does your car have?............I have workshop manuals covering 1936 to 1954 and 1957 to 1962(Oz used the side valve six till 1962) and all show essentially the same style of fuel pump, tho some have the actuating arm at a different angle yet they all would press on the cam the same way and all show the same "angled" mounting boss................all are the single action type, ie, not the type that some other brands used that had a vacuum pump attachment ........got a pic of yours?...........BTW.....Welcome aboard from sunny South Grafton, Australia.............Andy Douglas   

Edited by Andydodge

Contact the folks at Then and Now Automotive, (a.k.a. Antique Auto Parts Cellar) and get a fuel pump rebuild kit. Their kits are inexpensive, fairly easy to install, made for modern fuels, and their tech support is top notch.

http://www.then-now-auto.com/antique-auto-parts/

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Contact the folks at Then and Now Automotive, (a.k.a. Antique Auto Parts Cellar) and get a fuel pump rebuild kit. Their kits are inexpensive, fairly easy to install, made for modern fuels, and their tech support is top notch.

http://www.then-now-auto.com/antique-auto-parts/

Hi Shaneyk88 and welcome to the forum. These guys are two towns over from me and very good to deal with. You have a nice rare car there. Good luck with it.

John R

Nice score! I have a thing for 56's,and wish it were mine.

I second ...Then and Now Automotive

Great folks to deal with and have been around a long time selling good quality parts and service.

• Like 1

Welcome!  Nice wagon.  If you get a pump from any where ( no one mentioned vintage power wagons, so I will) check very carefully as what ever box they come in it will likely be a Mexican made Air Tech (Airtex) unit.  They do not stake the pivot pins for the cam fulcrum. Their process of a pressed in interference fit pin insertion has left numerous members of this forum stopped beside the road waiting for a tow after the pin has walked out.  There are several fixes for this.  Properly stake the pin with a small punch and hammer, replace the pin with a longer one that has a retaining pin i or groove and C clip, fashion a retainer out of sheet metal, put a clamp style paper clip over the pin, or don't get an airtech.

Good luck with your search.Enjoy your project.

Thank you for the fuel pump help. My next issue is the carb. I assumed my 230 was a 1bbl. when I got in there and looked, it seems its a 2bbl setup. I read that this is a rare setup? is that correct? The carb on it is a Stromberg ww 3-124 that comes back as 56-57 dodge? Is this carb correct for my application? Thanks again for all your comments and help!!

56 Plymouth manifold.jpg

56 Plymouth1.jpg

56 Plymouth carb.jpg

My John Lees Standard Catalog of Chrysler  book shows that the 2 barrel was only available in 1956, as an option, yet was not listed as an option in 57,58 or 59,  those last 3 yrs of the flathead supposedly using the single barrel Ball & Ball, their increase in hp probably due to the increase in compression up to 8.0:1..........I would think that your twin barrel intake not only is uncommon but would be a sought after item...........andyd     

The 2bbl was a 56 only deal for Plymouth.  I have seen manifolds but never in a car.should be a Carter.  My 56 230 with 1bbl was rated at 125 hp.  The 2 bbl was supposedly  132.  Which was highest number for a Plymouth flathead.  Pretty rare especially in a Savoy as they were the base models.

4 minutes ago, greg g said:

The 2bbl was a 56 only deal for Plymouth.  I have seen manifolds but never in a car.should be a Carter.  My 56 230 with 1bbl was rated at 125 hp.  The 2 bbl was supposedly  132.  Which was highest number for a Plymouth flathead.  Pretty rare especially in a Savoy as they were the base models.

Savoy is the mid level model.....and many Savoy models were trimmed out rather spiffy...…...

Just now, Shaneyk88 said:

Where does this Suburban fall in that lineup? Which Stromberg should I be looking for?

the stromberg ww should be the correct one. That is what is on my 2barrel intake. Carb kit was readily available. 

Carter BBD , Stromberg WW, Holley 2300 would be good starting points. These were all used on small v8 so they would probably need to be rejected leaner or if the Holley main jets are externally adjustable, it would probably give you a good start if you care more about operation than originality.  I think the big Jeep straight six used the same styles and would be closer to the displacement of your engine and not required much tuning.  Some v6's like German Capri which was a 3 liter could be a good source also.  Ford 260 289 should mount up too.

Edited by greg g