Starter upgrade?

nolan in blaine

Looking to get rid of the stump start starter in my 37 Chrysler royal. It’s still 6v positive ground. From what I gather Chrysler concerted to 12v before the went to key start. Am I wrong? If so what year/car can I order a starter from that will let me stay 6v but get rid of the floor starter button?

As far as I am aware all RHD cars had the key ignition and dash mounted starter button, certainly all the ones I've seen over the past 49 years.......lol...........yeh, I'm old and yeh I got my 1st Mopar, a 1940 Oz Dodge Coupe in 1969 as a 15yr old............the 1940 Oz Dodge Sedan I got in 1971 and I have still uses the original dash starter button, albeit with 12 volts and a 318 poly in situ.........the starter button is that chromed one on the right side of the instruments, the black button is the screen washers...........originally they had a separate solenoid switch on the engine side of the firewall..........andyd 

IMG_1377.JPG

Any brand of mopar that had No solenoid on the starter itself.

I only know P-15's- P26 (1946-1955). I far as I know any brand is the same others may tell of some exceptions?) .  In 1956 models forward where 12volt, but the flathead 6- 12 volt starter was a one year only for the cars- hard to find.

I bought a Chrysler 6 volt starter from the 50's on Ebay about 7 years ago and put it in my 50 Plymouth.

I mounted a starter solenoid on the inner splash panel under hood with  key start. You may do the same but using a push bottom on the dash for start actuation which is what they used on early models as others have said.

DJ

My 38 Coupe, with an engine from a 36, had the starter pedal on the floor.      I bought a 56 engine that had a 54 starter with no solenoid that I added a wall mount solenoid so as to start with a start button.         Worked great, but I later found a 12 volt 56 started to replace the 54....