Transmission parts

JamesF

I have a 1949 2 Dr Plymouth sedan and am in need of some transmission parts.  It is the customary 3 speed but with an overdrive.  I need some parts for both.  Can anyone suggest a starting point to look for parts?

thanks,

jamesF

When I did a web search earlier today on Borg-Warner Over drive parts many parts suppliers came up. Some are the same for other brands (built by BW) of the trans, some not.

BTY,  I was doing some research on a T-85 BW overdrive (Ford it seems) trans at the time if that info helps??

I did not save any of the info I saw. But maybe some of the contact info will point you in the right direction.

Another Co. that has helped some other forum members is: http://www.nwtparts.com/

Best of luck,

DJ

James, 49 Plymouth’s did not have overdrive. Your trans is either from a newer Plymouth, or a  Chrysler, Desoto, or Dodge. Doesn’t matter which as they are interchangeable. What you need to know is what model overdrive it is. They are made by Borg- Warner. The number you need is cast in the transmission case. It is a number  preceded by the letter r. Mine is from a 37 Chrysler and is a r6. It is a mechanical kick down model. If yours has a solenoid sticking out of it you may have a r10. Finding this number will pinpoint what unit you have and need parts for.

Mike is quite correct but I think it is a good chance that yours is an R10 which was used from 52 to 56 . The overdrive part shares service parts with Studebaker, Ford, Kaiser Frazer and even Chevrolet.  The gearbox ahead of it uses the same internals from 41 to 56. (40 had a different second gear ratio).    I do not think it would be difficult to come up with a standard three speed for parts.  I have lots of them but shipping into the USA is likely to be prohibitive.  The front case is slightly different with the overdrive but the bearings are all standard issue, the numbers are engraved on the outer race.  I got my first OD in 1966.  Still have it.  Treated right, they are very reliable and a real benefit in a car operating at highway speeds.