30 amp circuit breaker

37silverstreak

MY late '48 Plymouth has a 30 amp circuit breaker mounted under the dash and yet I can't seem to find it in any wiring diagram for the P15. I see one on the P17-18 model diagram though. So was wondering if anyone here has an answer? By the look of the old harness it was there originally, but unfortunately the old harness is so faded I can't tell what goes where and my new reproduction harness doesn't seem to have any provision for it.

If anyone can tell me what that circuit breaker is used for I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Kevin

I believe it's located on the back of the head light switch. Could be a fuse?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I believe it's located on the back of the head light switch. Could be a fuse?

I can't remember for sure but I think they did use a fuse on the switch for the headlight on those models.

John R

The circuit breaker is on the headlight switch and protects the headlight circuit.  The stop lights and the dome light are on the protected side.  The ignition has no protection and accessories like the radio have in-line fuses.  On later models the circuit breaker was fastened near to the ammeter.   

The breaker is of the self closing type and will open and close until the heavier than 30 amp load is removed or the battery goes dead.  You will find the same type of breaker on power window circuits in later cars.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Joeys41 said:

Would anyone know if the original 30A fuse is longer than what is sold today? The fuse I removed(Blown) was about 1 3/8 inch long and the replacement is only 1 3/16 inch long.

fuses are class sized.....check you standard AG fuse chart for the type fuse for your application by length and diameter......then just select your amp value and if and when necessary if standard, fast blow or slow blow types.....

type AG fuse chart into your search engine...