What Disc brake conversion to use on a 53 coronet

martin53

Many threads exist on the topic of disc brakes.  Have you used the search function?  There is information on DYI using already existing parts, there are discussions of Scare bird conversions, cutting your own brackets, buying brackets and assembling new parts to complete, Rustyhope.com  there is one adapting Ford explorer parts, two wheel drive Jeep Cherokee rotors etc.  Many ways to skin that cat already detailed photos and other details illuminated.

• Thanks 1

I'll keep looking. I found a couple of links. I got lucky and found a 93 Jeep Cherokee rear end down the street while driving to work. I'll look up scarebird and rusty hope. Has anyone ever found a interchangeable spindle for 53 coronets. Thanks for the help.

23 minutes ago, greg g said:

I believe that two wheel drive early Cherokee rotors will fit the Dodge hubs once the drum is removed.  Pressing dress into the plughole will center and secure the disc when the wheels and she'll is secured.

Cherokee rotors would fit on the front Dodge hubs brakes. Are there any links of this being done. 

I suspect it still has a 3.55 most listings I’ve found indicate this. Some clues to check - there is usually a small tag on one of the axle differential cover bolts that says what the gear is. If it has been serviced that tag may be gone. Some other options - throw two same size tires on the axle mark one tire and roll the axle in a straight line and count how many times the pinion companion flange rotates for one full rotation of a tire. Important to roll it straight or the differential will get involved and fool you. You could also drop the diff cover and rotate the ring gear, on the edge of it is the ratio, messy but sure fire.

Ok while searching online for different options on rearends I came across a place that builds custom driveshafts and found one for a 64 Dodge that looks similar to the 53 drive shaft. Anyone ever use one of these. I'm wondering if I can just buy the flange with the u joints and use my own drive shaft.

651278907.png

Screenshot_20181206-163815.png

Any drive shop has those 4 bolt flat faced u joint adapters in stock they are used in many industrial/drive line apps.

Also after market slip joints.

Just a phone call away??

DJ

• 1 month later...

They supply a list of disc. calipers, pads, hoses, wheel bearings etc. that you will need along with their hubs/adapters. You can buy the parts at an auto parts store. This is typically less expensive than buying a kit with all parts included at least it was when I did it. Also, using readily sourced parts will make it easier down the road if/when you need to replace pads, bearings etc. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 9:51 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

the application you are referring to is not considered B body but rather falls under the design codes FMJ...while the spindle may be same the upright is different and I think overall rotor size comes plays a very important part of these kits for ability to fit within the stock wheel thus the smaller car application.   As stated in part to these questions on another of your threads, this is why so many makers offer kits, each will supply what you need for install...none technically gives away there application secrets....would take them right out of the business.......most folks will pick a product that by verbiage will meet their cost and level of personal intervention on application or design a kit themselves.  Basically what I am saying is this, all these kits have been engineered and running changes through feedback from the public has made most all of them a cake walk as they say. 

What cou

What product did you use to do yours and make it easier

12 minutes ago, 50 coupe said:

They supply a list of disc. calipers, pads, hoses, wheel bearings etc. that you will need along with their hubs/adapters. You can buy the parts at an auto parts store. This is typically less expensive than buying a kit with all parts included at least it was when I did it. Also, using readily sourced parts will make it easier down the road if/when you need to replace pads, bearings etc. 

Nice, I gotcha

On 1/31/2019 at 7:39 AM, DavidJose1 said:

You still have to buy a ton of other parts though right?

The various vendors have differing parts included in their 'kits'. You might be able to get a 'near-complete' package from them but it would likely be cheaper to get the 'extras' from rockauto or ? store.

Vendors include AAJ, RustyHope, Scarebird, ECI and probably a dozen more these days......