Need a name for this bolt/screw.

casper50

My guess, emphasize guess: Hex headed self-tapping metal screw.

1. Its got a hexagonal head
  2. From reading the parts books, my impression is that a machine screw has threads all the way to the head whilst a bolt is not threaded all the way up.
  3. The threaded portion looks designed for sheet metal but does not have the self-drilling feature of some.

Yep, hex-head sheet metal screw.  I bought a few at the local Ace Hardware for my snow thrower, to match what was on there.  Different diameters and lengths. For screwing the plastic shroud to sheet metal.  Holes already drilled in the sheet metal,so self-drilling not necessary. 

Must be a name for them, my dodge truck is held together by the same bolts. The toe boards use this bolt with a metal clip style nut. The spring clip attaches to one piece of metal, in this case the floor of the cab, then set the toe board down and the bolt screws in to the clip on the cab floor.

Hope that makes sense I do not have a loose clip without opening up my sealed bolt pouches.

I am missing several of these bolt and clips myself, have not searched online for them.  My inner fenders use this method along with the center hood section.

I think they are a very common bolt for dodges. I also think the clip style nuts are handy for the toe boards where you only can reach one side at a time.

When I put my inner fenders back on, I will replace with a common nut/bolt. They will last longer and give me 10 extra bolts/clips to use elsewhere.

A quick google search for body bolts should get what we need

IMG_20181201_080156862.jpg

Edited by Los_Control

The screw Casper showed is a lag screw I would say is used for wood not steel. The Dodge screw los pictured has a different square thread to fit the clips.  Two completely different screws pictured.  

• Like 1

the one pictured is the same as the other 9 in both front fenders of the 55 Pontiac.  I have 3 that the heads are rusted so bad as to not be hex anymore.  I believe lag screws have a sharper point to dig into wood.  Whereas this is blunted for metal.

Edited by casper50

That is a very coarse thread sheet metal screw..and yes, very close in appearance to a typical lag screw  used in wood working.  These were popular for grille and gravel shield fastening on these old cars and can often be found in other common uses about the body.   Often these are used in conjunction with a J-nut.  They are typically #14 body size...though can be found in 5/16.  There are other similar screws in this fashion but more than not with a finer thread pitch, often with a washer/displacement built into the head.  You can find these in coarse, fine, head style, metal composite and various lengths and body sizes in the online Restoration Specialties catalog...sometimes you can get lucky at the hardware store but for the most part the basic fly by night stuff they carry is grade 2 and so cheap it is just worth the effort to bring home to use.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/page_203.pdf  

many many pages of bolts and screws to choose from here....the catalog is a download for free.....while I do not intend to say you got to order from here, but matching by pictures for description may help you in your search locally.

the download button top right of page, saves in PDF 

Edited by Plymouthy Adams