Anybody have any experience with tthe frame and fabric portable shelters?

greg g

Getting tired of brushing snow off vehicles parked out side because vintage tin is in the garage. With arthritis and pinched nerve in my neck it's not something I look forward to each time we want to get out and about. Looking at the Shelter logic ones at TSC. And since snow is a big consideration I would like to check any experience folks might have had with these in northern climes. Especially now they hold up and how easy it is to remove snow from them.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2161621665689696908?q=shelterlogic+all+weather&client=tablet-android-efun&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=800&output=search&prds=ds:1,num:4,cs:1&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&ved=0ahUKEwi1xY2j3PreAhUlZN8KHUM8CMIQu4UCCBY

I see them all over in Maine. What if:  buy two alike. The pipe structure poles are usually 30" apart. So set up two and double your strength. Cover the structure, top, sides, and ends. Now cover this with a thin roll of insulation . Finally put the second cover over it all and  cinch it all down. When that wears out, you will be retired in the Bahamas! 

FWIW

If you have the required height in your garage, I would suggest choosing to purchase a lift for additional vehicle storage...A couple of disadvantages of the frame ,fabric shelters that come to mind are anchoring the perimeter substantially to avoid movement during windy conditions...Also depending on where they are erected, if there isn't a moisture barrier on the ground and sufficient air movement inside they will draw moisture and condensation could be a problem during temperature and humidity cycles..

Edited by T120

Personally, I would ask the cat and see what it prefers.

I have no actual experience using these portable shelters.

I watched a neighbor tear one down today, bet I could make a offer and get a good deal on one.

The issue is what you use to cover them with. A real honest to good canvas would cost a fortune.

I bought a blue tarp recently, just opened it up yesterday and think I will put it straight in the trash .... what crap!

Think I will stick to old fashioned stick built myself.

Up here in Canada....All I see is made in China junk.  They don't last the weather. A good flatulence event will knock most down.

There are some higher quality ones that should be better. I am skeptical and have not tried one. I'd be inclined to put together something at least a little more semi-permanent.

You get what you pay for.

Edited by keithb7

I put one up recently that I purchased from Harbor freight. It was ( with the cupon ) $199.99 and it's a 10 x 17.  The brand name is Cover Pro.  I did a couple of extra things when I put it up that may not be required at all.  I added an extra tarp between the frame and  the top and slid some of that extremely light foam insulating board in between the tarp and the top.  I also opted for some of the screw anchors from the pet section that are meant to tie and stake off a dog. It came with anchors but these worked better.  I put this up to store a body in out of the weather. This week we had very strong winds, it's done fine.  Pretty happy with it, I would buy another.  For no more than I gave for it if it lasted 6months I would be happy, I think it will last much longer than that though.

• Like 2

A good suggestion from, Flatie46 , - using some light foam insulating board and an extra tarp between the frame the top. This could prevent moisture condensing inside and dripping from the top.