Mystery ignition

thebelvedereman

I haven't ran the 47 for about 3 weeks, because it's been raining everyday, and we also got 8 inches of snow , I tried starting it the other day it wouldn't start, I got out my test light and I had power going to the coil, but no spark coming out, so I figured the coil was bad, I put a new coil on today, made sure the wires were on correctly, the car started right up, but now won't shut off with the ignition it's a 47 so it's got a push-button for the starter, but the ignition seems to do nothing, but worked perfectly 3 weeks ago I had to pull off the coil wire to shut it off , any ideas??

Edited by thebelvedereman

eBay item # 183549072830

Seller has 99.9 feedback. 

I have affiliation with this seller or part I am just passing on the info.

P.S. : I searched “Desoto ignition switch “ They interchange

• Like 1

Hey Belvedere,

You said you had a lot of rain and then snow? Might be moisture in the switch and electrical system. I deal with that a lot in Florida with the humidity on rainy days. Mine did the same thing a while back. Sprayed it out with contact cleaner and voila.

Joe Lee

Okay apparently I'm just a moron, it finally stopped raining again so I was able to go out with my test light and check out the car again, car started right up again, but wouldn't shut off again, took my test light, tested all the leads on the ignition switch, everything working fine, then I remembered when I put the new coil on that there was a wire coming from the coil going over by the horn relay that wasn't hooked up, and I thought maybe I pulled it off when I took the old coil off, well apparently that wire was off for a reason because it's bypassing the ignition somehow, I disconnected that wire again and everything is back to normal the car starts and shuts off just like it should, I'm going to have to get a wire diagram and find out what the wire is supposed to go to but apparently it's not supposed to go to the horn relay LOL

• Like 1