Hand brake cable recommendations for 51 pickup

Dodgeed

On 12/3/2018 at 9:20 AM, FlashBuddy said:

Jack it up and spin the wheels, do they spin freely?

Okay, it was on the rack today, and the mechanic and I were underneath and he spun the drive shaft and the wheels rotated freely, and the shaft wasn't touching the parking brake pads, so the smell I smelled which I thought was a brake hanging up, was only the dripping WD40 onto the exhaust. In fact, while I was driving over to the shop this morning, there wasn't any smell, and I was calm enough, since I wasn't worried about all the things that "could" be wrong, to notice there wasn't drag at all on the vehicle while moving forward, that would have been there if a brake was actually hanging up. 

So, all in all, a good day at the shop. I've got a lead on a used cable, and I'll look for a parking brake kit to replace what I've got, even though the current one is fine, it looks like it could use a replacement kit at some point in the distant future. Might as well get it now, when I don't have a crises and have the luxury of available time. 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. ?

• Like 2

While I'm searching through my piles of spare parts looking for interesting things....here's some related videos.

E-brake video #1

E-brake video #2

E-brake video #3

48D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

While I'm searching through my piles of spare parts looking for interesting things....here's some related videos.

E-brake video #1

E-brake video #2

E-brake video #3

48D

Thanks Dave. Always amazing that there are videos for everything. Glad I was able to see these. They confirm what I have, so at least I know I'm on the right path. ?

10 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

E-brake video #1

E-brake video #2

E-brake video #3

48D

" additional information" :)

• Like 3

Again, I mention for future readers.....In cleaning up a couple cables I have this weekend, I have two different sizes. one is longer, I would suspect the longer one is for a fluid drive.

IMG_1018.JPG.2df1c4833287d80867fd757e82034c36.JPG

I didn't even think of it until this thread. 

Ok, I done.... ?

• Thanks 1

B1 and B2 cable W/O FD Pt#....

B1 and B2 cable W/ FD Pt#.....

B3 and B4 cable W/O FD Pt#....

B3 and B4 cable W/FD Pt # ....

B4 Truck-O-Matic... two different cable lengths... WOW.... a lot of different cables...

You might want to try a boat supply house, they make custom cabling all the time. Not sure what that would cost but it was suggested to me before I actually found a used one from this one guy.

5 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

No part numbers Rob? Although they probably wouldn’t do anyone any good these days. Also, the B1 wouldn’t use a cable, but I know that you know that too. ? Too bad they didn’t list the length on the other 4 cables...

BEA7E347-3EF8-4EA2-B056-AF9B9B1F0DA2.jpeg.209e4797504ab73b6a4f76e9d0f9f2ad.jpeg

Yeah Merle...

I kinda laxed on my cable info reply... and yep I also forgot about the B-1 E-brake lever on the trans like the W-series trucks...?

From this site a few years ago I found a gentlemen in Lebanon Pa. that makes and repairs e brake cables. I have used his services on two occasions with good results. George Martin              Phone number 717-273-9502    Hope this helps.

On 12/9/2018 at 5:13 PM, MWPauly09 said:

From this site a few years ago I found a gentlemen in Lebanon Pa. that makes and repairs e brake cables. I have used his services on two occasions with good results. George Martin              Phone number 717-273-9502    Hope this helps.

Thank you. I'll keep this in mind. 

On 12/9/2018 at 12:18 PM, TrampSteer said:

You might want to try a boat supply house, they make custom cabling all the time. Not sure what that would cost but it was suggested to me before I actually found a used one from this one guy.

Good idea. Thanks.