Carter carburetor rebuild issues

Vet Doc

I have a Carter DTC1 from a B1B that hasn’t been in for over 50 years that I started in on today with a rebuild kit from Mike’s.  Two problems I have run into that I am looking for suggestions for how to approach.

1) When I went to remove the pump jet, the grooves for the screw driver on the jet had been worn when someone else apparently tried to remove it.  I soaked the body in solvent but it didn’t loosen it any and I can’t get it to budge and have made the edges even more rounded.  Any tips on how to get the jet out, or should I just put it together and see if it runs?  Air seems to blow through cleanly.

2). When removing the throttle plate, one of the screws twisted off.  I was able to remove the shaft, but I don’t think that I can get the broken screw out without ruining the shaft.  ANy suggestions other than replacing the shaft?

Thanks for any input.

If the jet passes air,,it will more than likely pas gas...er should I say fuel?? If you are not comfortable drilling out the throttle shaft, take it to a machine shop.  Shouldn't cost much and they might be able to drill and tap it for the next size up screw.

the throttle plate screws are staked from the reverse side when installed to prevent them backing out and get sucked into the engine.  You have broke the head off and as such may or may not be able to removed the threaded section due to distortion of the thread below the head of the screw by trying to remove by screwing the back through the shaft from the backside.  I would recommend that you very carefully drill it from the head side and hopefully when doing so be able to extract from the staked side of the screw body with the action of the drill bit.  As the screws are typically brass...they are soft and drilling is not that hard a task.  A V-block is very handy in aligning round stock for drilling and hopefully you have access to a drill press for this operation.  

Vet Doc-if you're talking about the pump jet at the top of the carb behind the steel plug, I had the same issue on one of mine.  Mine was plugged solid and  gave up trying to remove it while it was still salvageable.  I ended up using a piece of guitar string to clean out the opening which is still working well.  I'd also suggest soaking the pump plunger in oil overnight, and then gengly prying the bottom edge away from the plunger body.  If these have been sitting on the shelf for an extended time, they don't open up properly.   Good luck!

All-

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will try them and hope for the best.  

This has become quite a project and the forum provides a multitude of great advise and direction from drivetrain to body and everything in between.  I find myself reading posts instead of spending time in the shop.  I guess I need to work on prioritization.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Old downdraft carburetors commonly leak at the butterfly valve shaft.

As the Carter BB has brass shaft on steel throttle body, the shaft wears thin.

It does not help to rebuild the sealings & jets if the throttle valve shaft leaks.

Where can I get new shaft to replace a worn one?

What is included in Bernbaum P-102 kit? - Only gaskets & jets? Any more?