Clarktor - Flathead 6 with fluid coupling.

HeyCharger

Hi Guys. Newbie here so gentle with the flaming, please.

I have a Clarktor 46, with a seized flathead 6 engine, fluid coupling to what I believe is a NP435 gearbox.

This unit has not been used in donkey's years.

I have a replacement engine so am asking questions re the exchange;

1) Can I unbolt the engine from the bell housing and remove just the engine?

2) How is the fluid coupling connected to the engine?

3) I obviously want to drain and replace the fluid in this coupling. Is it easy?
Thanks in advance.

$_20.JPG

Another Aussie!!!..........there everywhere!.........oops........so am I!............lol........Welcome aboard, great place, these guys know their stuff............I've never played with a fluid drive but from what these guys have said about them they are just the connection between the engine & gearbox but I'm sure you'll get the info you need......however you do know that here in Oz we got both the Plymouth/Dodge based 23" long engines and the DeSoto/Chrysler based 25" long versions..........the 25" engines were generally known here as "Kew" engines tho' this term has come to be used to refer to both short and long engines, btw this term should not be used when dealing with the Yanks as they won't know what you are talking about......lol.................we also had both length engines in industrial applications such as airport tugs, fork lifts and the like.............is your Clarktor an airport tug?..........I had the engine from an airport tug, a 23" 230 cube version that I was intending to hop up, tho' sold it .............I'd suggest posting some pics especially of the engine/bellhousing area just to help make sure these guys know what you are dealing with...........I wouldn't do anything to it yet until you hear from these guys........anyway welcome aboard................regards, Andy Douglas  

Edited by Andydodge

Hi Andy. Thanks for the info. Yes, all the engines I have are 25". The one that is in it now is "Manufactured in Australia under licence to Clark Equipment Coy_ Michigan USA"
Serial No: O3X2184L, Engine No: A1-251-01-158 and showing 2,353 hrs. The engine was manufactured by Chrysler Australia Limited (Adelaide).
AI (Australian Industrial) - 251(cubic inch).

But my replacement engine(s) are, I believe 218ci.

It is an old Ansett tug and according to documents is capable of towing 100tons.

IMG_20150426_122459943.jpg

Edited by HeyCharger
spelling

I don’t know what type of bell housing they used in that tug, but in the cars and trucks, with FD, you need to remove the trans from the bell housing first. Then you can remove the clutch from the FD, then the FD form the crank. There will be 8 nuts to remove on the block side of the crank flange. It’s probably best to pull the engine with the bell housing attached, then swap things over to the replacement engine before installation. If you are unable to turn the crankshaft then you won’t be able to get the FD unit off the crank without removal of the bell housing. And if this is the case you will probably need to drive the 2 locating dowel pins back into the bell housing, and out of the engine block. They are located just above the lower bell housing bolts at the back of the block. With the pins pushed back, and the engine out of the vehicle, you can lift the bell housing up and over the top of the flywheel/Fluid Drive unit. This would then provide some access to the upper nuts on the crank flange. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HeyCharger said:

Hi Guys. Newbie here so gentle with the flaming, please.

I have a Clarktor 46, with a seized flathead 6 engine, fluid coupling to what I believe is a NP435 gearbox.

This unit has not been used in donkey's years.

I have a replacement engine so am asking questions re the exchange;

1) Can I unbolt the engine from the bell housing and remove just the engine?

2) How is the fluid coupling connected to the engine?

3) I obviously want to drain and replace the fluid in this coupling. Is it easy?
Thanks in advance.

$_20.JPG

That thing is pretty freaking cool! Know anything about the history of their manufacture?

Interesting that its a 251/25" engine.......looks like its severely blown a head gasket.....lol........regarding Caspers note to not change the fluid unless you have to is because apparently the original Chrysler fluid is no longer available and there has certainly been some discussion on this forum regard the suitability of available fluids now and whether they do the job.........I'd do a search under the fluid drive title and see what comes up however I'd expect a few more guys to add to the discussion re the fluids etc........Casper, Merle, Knuckle are all guys who's comments I would respect......your main concern I suppose is making sure that the Chrysler part of the tug is understood before you have at it...........lol.........from the general appearance of the engine compartment and side on pic it looks like you'd be best to remove the engine cover, radiator, etc and floor to get at it all..........btw whats the 218's from....they are 25" engines aren't they?........and I agree with Knuckle.........it is a cool looking thing...........its the first airport tug that I've actually seen as I just bought the 230 engine, which was all he had, mine was supposedly ex Sydney airport........tows 100 tons!!!...what gearing does it have?.......lol..........we need more pics....please...........lol..........andyd  

Edited by Andydodge

The fluid coupling is much heavier than a dry clutch set up. Fluid drive crank shaft flanges are thicker and have eight bolts holding the flywheel.  Those 218 cranks will likey be four bolt setups, some later ones have six bolts.  One have mentioned that some of the fluid drive have an interference problem and the the bell housing need to be removed kind or simultaneously which can be a pain in the butt and not a one person job. It might even require a special wrench or one ground thinner to be able to remove the wrench when the bolts are loose but not quit out. Long skinny fingers probably help also.  

As stated if your unit is not leaking, don't touch the fluid and since the seal is pretty rare these days care must be take to prevent damaging it.

Edited by greg g

Charger.........just checked a few manuals I have..................in 1954 Oz mopars, used the 228 which had "C" as a suffix & was a 25", the 230 which was a 23"  and the 250.6/251 which was the 25" and engine numbers prefixed with "Kew".....................then the AP1, 1957/58 Chrysler Royals used both the 23" 230 cube and 25" 250.6/251 cube depending on what gearbox, ie, normal 3 speed had the 23" , 230 cube engine but both the Overdrive gearbox cars and the Powerflite Auto cars used the 25" 250 cube engine that supposedly had "Kew" in the engine number also......................1959 AP2 Chrysler Royals only used the 250.6/251, 25" engine irrespective of gearbox.......................and 1960 to 1962 AP3 Chrysler Royals used the 25" 250.6/251 "Kew"  engine with the standard 3 speed or Torqueflite  being the only 2 gearboxes available, both the Overdrive and Powerflite were supposedly unavailable in the AP3 Royals tho'  I'm almost certain I've seen Overdrive equiped AP3 Royals......................but the last use of a 218 engine in Oz seems to have been no later than 1952, as the 228 is indicated as being used from 1953 onwards.......anyway just thought I'd help confuse the issue.............lol.............regards, andyd