41 ply coupe p11 i think

nunzio

hello mopar people...i have some questions for those of you that hold mopar info close to your hearts and are willing to help the mopar impaired folks out there (me)...i worked on 100's as a young mech.....but the questions i have ,the answers i would have never known...this  old coupe im digging into is darn good for sitting in the woods for 50 yr..about 95%....questions...talking about ply gills.. is 41 the only year for that style?? or is 40 and 42 the same  or is the 2 dr sadan the same as well ??...talking about vent windows...same question....but can we look at dodge as well as they most likly used the same doors??......same question on the windshield divider  ...please and thank you to any one who can help me out.....nunzio

Hello and welcome,

The grille on the '41 is different than the '40 and the '42. The '41 grille was the same on the two door, four door, coupe and convertible. I believe that the door vent windows were optional on the P11 models as were earlier years on the less expensive models. I also think that the P11 cars did not have the chrome trim around the windshield. The P11 was a lower priced car for '41 with less add on's, much like the Roadking models on the earlier Plymouth's. If you Google the different year Plymouth's , you will see the difference in the models. Can you post some photos of your '41? Thanks and good luck.

John R

Here is a photo of a '41 P11 Plymouth. Note the absence of the chrome trim around the windshield, no side bumper tips or trim rings on the wheels and on the side of the cowl it says Deluxe rather than Special Deluxe like the P12's. One of my favorite year Plymouth's.

John R

p11.jpg

Correction on my previous post. The emblem on the cowl of this car reads Plymouth, not Deluxe. If it were a P12, it would read Plymouth with Special Deluxe underneath. I apologize for that.

I notice that there are some good parts offered for these cars on ebay too.

John R

This is the 1941 P11 Auxillary Seat Coupe I had, it was a factory RHD Export car out of Detroit but assembled in South Africa then imported into Oz in the 1990's and restored by a previous owner to me..............whilst it was a P11 model it came with the bumper tips and overiders, the running boards were a custom setup that someone had made and were a little different to the stock style of running board which didn't actually touch the front & rear fenders but sat 1/2" away from the fenders.........I've also seen front parking light lenses that are a flat style rather than the hooded ones that my car and most others have had........regarding the centre windscreen divider the one on my 1940 dodge was cracked in 4 places so I got a piece of 1" x1/2" brass bar and a piece of 1/4 x 3/8th bar , drilled the small piece to match the inside piece soldered them together and cut the 1 x 1/2" piece to the correct shape and had it chromed, its lasted 45 yrs so far and will never break or corrode like the original ones............BTW.......welcome aboard................regards from Oz, Andy Douglas  

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

Wscreen 4.jpg

Wscreen 6.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nunzio said:

hello mopar people...i have some questions for those of you that hold mopar info close to your hearts and are willing to help the mopar impaired folks out there (me)...i worked on 100's as a young mech.....but the questions i have ,the answers i would have never known...this  old coupe im digging into is darn good for sitting in the woods for 50 yr..about 95%....questions...talking about ply gills.. is 41 the only year for that style?? or is 40 and 42 the same  or is the 2 dr sadan the same as well ??...talking about vent windows...same question....but can we look at dodge as well as they most likly used the same doors??......same question on the windshield divider  ...please and thank you to any one who can help me out.....nunzio

thks andy..and john .the pic s are great.....i just came in from cleaning out the 41...there was  oh about 30 lbs of  old rotted pine needles leafs pine cones...and the sort...but there was a nice surprise!!..there was a perfect  front running light lens and the  dome light lens and trim !!....under the rotting mass...nice...thks nunzio...

• 3 months later...

hello all....well this stinkin winter is  down shifting..and it's about time....long...ya i just had a wild goose trying to steel feed from the horses.....and i can see parts of the old 41 now.....yep the snow is 3 ft on the level with burms 6ft........though the winter was long...it was also productive.....i found every little script/hood ornament,rear lights,fr markers ect.....then i  bought all new glass(did not have any)....and rubber for all the windows..boy ....there is alot of price difference  building a chevy vs a ply......everything is gold if its for a mopar...but nun the less  we are good!!...the last peace i needed was the complete grill ,including the sheet metal...low and behold...a gent on ebay was selling a real  nice one....funny...he was advertising it as wall art...nice.....it is a beautiful grill!!!   ..flew into ca and drove back home in the builder car...its mint!!  hate to cut it all up but....we do what we have to...its a 76 dodge aspen 318....no rust....1200 miles in 24 hr..it did not miss a beat...it has a nice eddelbrock intake/carb/and headers....believe it or not i got oh about 18 mpg at avg speed of 65....not bad did not burn or leek any oil to boot!!.....iv'e been gnawing at the bit to get  going on this prodj....oh ya...im going with a tilt front end ...it will be a stinker to find the perfect folcrom ..but thats fine....i just don't  like working over the top of big fenders that have nice paint on them....plus..it only up's the value....well just thought i would share ......yes ill take pics before and during  the build....oh and yes its a p11 no vent windows.....blessings......nunzio

You got that right! If its Mopar, it's expensive! From the window rubbers to the chrome garnish it can really put a strain on the wallet.  I usually spend a bit of time every night just looking up parts for my '48 P15 just for kicks and I'm blown away by the prices.  Wouldn't want to be building an old Mopar right now and start with only the bare body. These prices would certainly be inhibitive.  On a lighter note, spring made an appearance here today so it wont be long before the toys come out !

Nunzio..........that no vent window option would not be common as just about every 1941 Plymouth pic I've seen shows a car with the 1/4 vents, in some respects the lack of the 1/4 vent would make life easier re one less thing to have to fiddle with as the 1/4 vent rubbers can be a PITA to install............I think the 318 install is a good idea but to be honest the flip front unless its done REALLY well will more than likely not increase the cars value, more than likely will decrease it from my experience of this type of modification on cars over the past 50 yrs.......yeh..I've had my 1940 Dodge since 1971.........lol..............have you got any pics of the car......we love pics..........lol.............regards from Oz...Andy Douglas 

hello well its only letting me send 3mb pics......all my chevy pics are 3. something....oh well..  reply to the flip hood...yes if it were done  by a chump!!  then  the value of the car would go down no doubt ....but....this is not my first rodeo...just my first mopar!!!!  ill be fabing a roll first then flip type front clip  hinge....ill even have it on roller bearings, to a drop lock type system..... and i will then enjoy   messin with the engine,with nothing in the way!!   if 42 years as a mechanic/fabricator has tought me anything,  just because you never did it before,does not mean you can't....learning till the day we die makes life worth living!!!!  ho ya!!!

Nunzio...........hey....its all good.......lol............any chance you can send me some snow?................lol...............andyd.