230 dodge engine

Phantom46

I have a Dodge 230 flathead six out of 1957 Coronet. The tranny that came with it was fluid-drive. The engine now has a bell housing  from a 1953 Dodge 1/2 ton truck and a S-10 five speed. I used the fly wheel from the Dodge Coronet, 172 tooth. The problem that I have is that when I installed the starter that came with the 1957 Dodge 230,  9 tooth and 1 inch diameter gear, it binds the flywheel  and I cannot rotate the engine. I have also used a starter with a larger diameter gear but the same tooth count. I'm aware the teeth on the flywheel and the starter are binding. All of this is installed in my 1940 Plymouth Pickup. Any information on a fix for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

This might or might not help. First off there is no such thing as a fluid drive transmission. I used a 1953 Desoto engine, 1948 Plymouth bell housing, 1948 Plymouth flywheel, 1986 S10 T-5 transmission, 1956 12 Volt Plymouth starter, and modified the bell housing as pictured. Suggest you take your own measurements and gear teeth count.

Bell-starter1.jpg

Bell-starter_3.jpg

In_the_car.jpg

from all the reading material I have on hand there was a change in the number of teeth on the flywheel ego the same with the Bendix...as for the starter....set it up for the flywheel you are using along with the correct Bendix to match......mix and match can get a bit hairy otherwise