First drive 1939 D11 Luxury Liner sedan

Erik V

7 hours ago, brian b said:

Dr Doctor asked if using sealed beams behind the original heart shaped 39 lenses compromises the beam. The answer is yes. I have this arrangement on my 39, and the headlights are poor as far as throwing a beam over the road surface.  I think the two lenses work against each other.  What I've been looking to do is find a pair of sealed beam headlights with plain glass lenses, hopefully a modern hi intensity bulb.  Hoping that will work, just haven't found the sealed beam I'm looking for.  If it doesn't, Ill change from sealed beams to halogen bulbs in original housings.  I almost never have the car out after dark,  so the project isn't at the top of the list.  If any of the members of the list are familiar with a plain lens sealed beam as described, I could use the recommendation.

thanks,

brian b

I haven't powered up the headlights yet, but have been told by a few people that they'll be fine for fair conditions night driving. After replacing a lense, I don't want to throw a bunch of money at another setup. 

3 minutes ago, Erik V said:

Took her out again today. Wipers don't work, and I was racing the sunset (only the brake lights work). She doesnt have excellent braking power which I know since I just went through the right side. Still a blast to drive. 

20181123_162022.jpg

20181123_162651.jpg

Rich H & Dr Doctor,

Thanks for the info in regards to clear lights and re silvering.  Appreciate the help,

brian b

you stated that you do not have wipers working. You have an electric wiper motor under the dash it is an autolite wiper motor that was used on 1939 Chrysler dodge and desoto. The 39 Plymouth stillused the old vacuum wiper motor.  Make use the 3 wires are connected to the motor they are labeled as A, B and C and they run back to the wiper switch which is also marked withbullet connector as a, b and c and then there isa  wire to supply power to the switch.  pull the knob a couple of time to clean the contacts inside the switch then turn the ignition key switch tot he on position and then pullthe wiper knob  the wipers should work. If not then might have to have it serviced at a good electric motor repair shop.

The wiper arms that you have are the original Autolite wiper arms there is specific right and left because of the bends in the arm.  These are very hard to find so take good care of the arms they are stainless steel  you have a 10 inches wiper blade and the connection that is used is called on the blade a deadlock blade because of havw they attach to the blade.  These wiper bladed are not cheap they run around 35-50 dollars for a set when you see them listed on ebay. I would get a set and have extras for future use.  Some people change out the arms to a universal arm so that you can put on a direct blade that is cheaper when you find them at swap meets.

Call me and I will tell you more about your car since if the 39 Desoto which is the sister car to your 39 Dodge.

Rich Hartung

cell 484-431-8157