I haven't done any work to my vent windows or driver and passenger glass yet so before I take everything apart, I want to post some questions that some of you guys who have done this work before can answer.

Q1. I'm wondering how the window sweeper gets installed. I bought an 8 foot piece of it from Roberts (T66B). DCM has it in stock too RW-175), but the parts manual picture on page 492 doesn't use the term "window sweeper" anywhere so I'm not exactly sure where it goes or what holds it in place?

Q2. How is the steel channel (23-09-52) that fits along the bottom of the side window glass cushioned from the glass? My originals look like a rubber packing or filler of some kind is wedged in between the glass and the channel. Is there a source for this filler?

Q3. What cushions the vent window glass from the frame (23-64-49)? My vent windows have a rubber filler material between the frame and the glass. Is there a source for that?

Q4. There's also a rubber filler material between the division bar (23-64-6) and the side glass. Is there a source for this stuff too?

The "sweeper" channel is held in place with some clips. Pull the old one out and reuse the clips.

The glass is set in place to the framework with glass setting tape. It's a rubber tape that wraps the edge of the glass and is pressed into the frame. Lots of soapy water helps get it set. I struggled with my vent window glass and finally gave it all to the glass company and had them do it.

• Like 1

Merle,

Thanks, I didn't know about glass setting tape. From what you said, I won't expect this glass work to be especially easy and I might end up taking it to a glass shop too. But I'll give it a try anyway after the steel parts are painted. If it's a big problem, then to the shop it all goes!

So if your building a "competitive show truck" you may not be interested in this.  If your building a "Driver",  this worked for me.  This past summer replaced both side windows (no vents) on my '49 B1B.  I used 2" wide Gorrila tape cut into about 3" lengths and wrapped them around the bottom edge of the glass going from the inside, around the bottom, and then up the outside of the glass.  Put on enough layers of these strips until I got a good snug fit when I placed the channel on the glass.  Seem to remember it took about 5 pieces of tape for 10 layers.  Did 4 sections of this spaced out along bottom of glass.  Then cut the excess tape off flush with the channel and ran a bead of clear silicone sealer along the glass and the top edge of the channel.  Works fine for my purposes.  Just as an aside, as a kid in the '60s, used to hang out at a local gas station that also did mechanics work.  Helped the mechanic replace a window glass.  He used strips of old tire inner tube between the glass and channel. I think it took 2 or 3 strips laid in the full length of the channel, then soapy water, then the glass was pushed in and excess soapy water blown away with the air hose.  Excess inner tube was cut away with razor blade. My pay for helping him was a 10 cent 8 oz. Coke in a glass bottle out of the vending machine.  Though I wasn't old enough  to drive yet and didn't really care about the price of gas, I think it was about 26.9 cents per gallon.  Regards  

glass setting tape is easily available, inexpensive and built to do the job without layering or added adhesives...you by it by the thickness needed....on our old Mopars I have found that 1/16 thickness is ideal....(.0625)  you can measure you glass, then you channel...remember you using tape each side so when you do your math you will see there is enough for a snug press fit...use Stoddard solvent for lube if you wish...the glass may seem a bit loose with the solvent at first but position where you want it, lay aside to evaporate and set... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Merle for bringing my attention to glass setting tape in the first place. Thanks to Plymouthy for mentioning the 1/16 thickness dimension. Now I feel confident enough to move forward with the side and vent glass work. I also found a link with two excellent tape installation videos at the bottom of the linked  page: https://glass4classics.com.au/product/automotive-glass-setting-tape/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

Thanks to Merle for bringing my attention to glass setting tape in the first place. Thanks to Plymouthy for mentioning the 1/16 thickness dimension. Now I feel confident enough to move forward with the side and vent glass work. I also found a link with two excellent tape installation videos at the bottom of the linked  page: https://glass4classics.com.au/product/automotive-glass-setting-tape/

Watched the first video there.  He doesn't seem to be preoccupied with setting the runner in any exact position as far as back & forth is concerned.  Is there nothing crucial about that?

Always mark or note the exact position of the channel to the glass.

• Like 1

My local glass shop that works on oddball old stuff suggested using tiny flathead screws to hold the sweeper to the door. I found the factory style clips very hard to use, so I followed their advice. As long as the screw head is small enough to burrow below the surface of the whiskers of the sweeper (so as not to scratch the glass) it is a quick & easy way to install it.

• 9 months later...

My doors, cab, and front end are re-painted original Dodge dark green and look great. Now comes the time to start putting the glass back in, but these parts still confuse me. The black window sweeper thing is 8 feet long and 1/2 inch wide. I can't figure out where it goes, what it fits into, or how the clips are used to install it. (The black part is flat, not channel shaped.) If someone has a good installation picture, that would probably help me out quite a bit. Hopefully it will clarify this for others too. Thanks.

20190903_103034_resized.jpg.0d7e974d8a702f31ee94e76dfebf0aa6.jpg

the long U shaped part goes in the door window frame (what the glass seals into) , the long thin one with 3 clips (yellow dashes by the strip blow) goes horizontally on the window frame outside surface of the glass, snaps in the 3 holes on the frame with the little nubs on the clips..

Capture wind.PNG

• Thanks 1