More starter problems..

Cold Blue

The starter off my 48 Mopar has new problems. The starter drive pinion end housing broke; I was able to find an NOS replacement. Took the broken one off the starter, and found that the starter bendix needs replacing. The bottom thick washer/retainer (not sure what you call it) is either broken or somehow spread apart so that the spring bottom tang is not held in it's proper position. Look at the photos and you can see that the washer at the bottom of the spring is sprung apart (or broken) where the spring tang used to go, and is off center of the spring. It should look like the washer holding the top of the spring in position, I think. Dad gummit!  I have searched the Web for a replacement bendix with no luck. Does anyone have a source? And how do you get the old bendix off? I've looked and looked and I can't figure out how to remove it. Thanks in advance. (The starter is an Autolite No. MZ-4133, 6 volt)

DSC01776.jpg

DSC01777.jpg

There is a small shop in Glaassboro, NJ, (Todd's Auto Parts, 856-881-6935).  that may be able to help, he has NOS Chrysler  parts, rebuilds and machines parts.  Twenty years ago he rebuilt my starter and generator, still work great however this summer want to change the car to 12 volt but keep the original appearance.  Today I gave spares of each to Todd, he is going to convert the starter to 12 volt.  He indicated if it is not converted, could possibly break the end of the starter off.  Going to try to convert the generator to 12 V, however for the generator may have to use the housing from a 50's Plymouth and use the ends from my original 

• Thanks 1

Happy Thanksgiving to  you and your family also.   That is correct, He is converting my starter and generator to 12 volt.  He showed me what is being changed in the starter, I believe he called it the field coil, however I am not familiar with the parts.  When  the car was being restored, 20 years ago, he rebuilt the carburetor, distributor, starter, generator, water pump, steering box and machined several hard to get parts.  He has a lot of old NOS Chrysler parts.  He is a good source to have a part rebuilt, or to have a part machined to match an original.   It is a one man shop sometimes difficult to get by phone, if you can't get through , the number I gave is a cell number can text that number.

Good Luck,

Rich

Thanks Richard. Fortunately, I was able to repair the starter. I disassembled it and found that the bottom spring washer/retainer had broken where the spring tang fit into a notch. I closed the washer back into position and welded it back together. A little grinding and filing and she's good to go. Got it all back together; gonna install in the 48 tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed that it's gonna work like new.  I need my steering box rebuilt; glad to hear that Todd can do that; I will call and talk to him about it.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why that washer/retainer would break and spring open like it did. The washer is about 1/8" thick mild steel, and very hard to bend. I had to put it in my vise to close the gap where it broke.  Easy to weld, though, because of it's thickness. Maybe when it broke, the washer had tension in the steel, and it sprung open when the tension was released? Just guessing.