Similarity between ‘52 Concord and ‘53 Cranbrook?

leadheavy52

Short answer is No,   The bodies share no stampings at all.   49 to 52 however, while not identical share many of the stampings including the transmission  tunnel.

Edited by dpollo
spelling error
  • Like 1

1951 Concord is all but identical to the 1952 - changed hood ornament, some grille pieces, series name on side of front fender and rear license lamp assembly.  Other than that very few differences.

The 1951-52 Concord was on a 111" wheelbase while the 1953 Plymouths were on a 114" wheelbase.   So there some floor stampings (especially front ones) that do work on 1951-52 models.

I am going to look at a '51 Desoto coupe tomorrow in hopes the floors, specifically the transmission tunnel, is similar. I have to replace it since the previous owner cut a good section of it out, including one of the supports. It would be easiest to find a suitable replacement rather than fabricate it myself. Fingers crossed that it is somewhat close. These old Plymouths are hard to come by here, or people want an exorbitant amount of money for their non-titled, no driveline, missing interior, project cars. 

IMG_6886.JPG

Merle, it is a 4-speed with a date of 7-12-49 on the case. Who knows when it was put in, but I’ve got a Plymouth overdrive tranny out of a ‘53 to replace it. Still looking for all the right parts. This is going in my ‘52 Suburban. 

Interesting... A ‘49 truck 4 speed would likely be the spur gear type without any synchros. It must have taken a lot of effort to shoehorn that into a car chassis, for what you’d get out of it. Especially since the car bell housing would likely have to have been modified to allow it to bolt up.