Freshening up a 230

3plydo3

I just acquired a good running 230 Flathead 6 with 60K miles to put in my 1933 Plymouth Convertible.  Right not I have it on an engine stand getting it ready for paint. Plans are an Edmunds aluminum head and Edmunds duel carb intake and headers.  While I'm at this stage what should I be changing out without going to deep into it.   I've never worked on one of these engines and just need to know what is really worth doing.  I'm thinking oil pump and water pump, distributor, ect. Thanks in advance for any advice.  

If your car right now still has the 189 ci 70hp engine I hear you will have to modify the starter in order for it to bolt up to the original bell housing/transmission.  The 189 does not have full water jackets around the pistons and the original bell housing has the starter mount closer to the engine because of this.  I have heard that you will have to grind a flat spot on the starter where it touches the later engine with full water jackets and maybe even grind a flat spot on the engine too.  Let me know how that turns out because I would like to install a larger flat 6 in my 33 Plym also.  

33 Plymouth 1.jpg

29 minutes ago, Reg Evans said:

If your car right now still has the 189 ci 70hp engine I hear you will have to modify the starter in order for it to bolt up to the original bell housing/transmission.  The 189 does not have full water jackets around the pistons and the original bell housing has the starter mount closer to the engine because of this.  I have heard that you will have to grind a flat spot on the starter where it touches the later engine with full water jackets and maybe even grind a flat spot on the engine too.  Let me know how that turns out because I would like to install a larger flat 6 in my 33 Plym also.  

33 Plymouth 1.jpg

Reg,why can't you just use a later bellhousing? Or even bellhousing and transmission?

12 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Reg,why can't you just use a later bellhousing? Or even bellhousing and transmission?

How does that work? I think 35 was transition year, so bellhousing from 35 or newer to work with the 230?

Then 34 or older to work with op original engine?

Just kinda chuckle when I hear the later or newer 1935 bell housing  :)

54 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

How does that work? I think 35 was transition year, so bellhousing from 35 or newer to work with the 230?

Then 34 or older to work with op original engine?

Just kinda chuckle when I hear the later or newer 1935 bell housing  :)

Why?

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

I was told that the mounts for the later bell and trans are different than the '33 but I don't know this from my own experience. I'm just relaying what I've heard.

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

Why? 

My chuckle is the 83 years since the last bellhousing change on the 23" flatheads, that was 1935.

That was the year the starter got moved and you needed to use either the older bellhousing with the original engine, or swap in a newer engine and use the newer bellhousing.

knuckleharley, you are 100% correct in advising to use the later bellhousing and starter. I just chuckle that the later parts came 83 years ago.

And the same dodge flathead motor was used past 1959 production and into the '70's otherwise.

Reg, I did read that somewhere about the starter.  I have a later 1953 bell housing I can use.  I’m sure I will run into some unexpected challenges but this swap has been done many times so it’s do able.  I will keep you up dated on the swap and I am also doing some chassis improvements as well.  Thanks to all for the help.  

Kevin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

My chuckle is the 83 years since the last bellhousing change on the 23" flatheads, that was 1935.

That was the year the starter got moved and you needed to use either the older bellhousing with the original engine, or swap in a newer engine and use the newer bellhousing.

knuckleharley, you are 100% correct in advising to use the later bellhousing and starter. I just chuckle that the later parts came 83 years ago.

And the same dodge flathead motor was used past 1959 production and into the '70's otherwise.

Thanks for clearing that up. Not having a good "senior day" today.

If you want to use a bell housing from a 35....( up to39)  you will need to use the transmission as well. The bell housing is made so the shifting forks can extend out the front of the trans.   Whatever you choose to do, before you make any major tear-ups, check for compatibility of the starter and the offset of the ring gear.  A 230 has an 8 bolt flywheel. The 217 has a 4 bolt .

The offsets for the ring gear are different .  Measure how far the starter pinion must move to make full contact with the ring gear.   It can all be done but be careful.

The front mount is easy to deal with but when  a 35  bell housing is used, a new rear crossmember will need to be fabricated unless you can get the crossmember from the car that gave up its bell housing. 35 6 and 7 use 2 saddle type mounts at the rear.  Sometime during 38 the donut type made its debut and with a few minor changes was used up to 56.

Other people on this forum have done the very same swap and I am sure they will be willing to help out with advice.