My broken starter...

Cold Blue

I need ya'lls help. I cannot find a replacement 6 volt starter for my 218 flathead motor. I called a bunch of places which refurbish starters and they all told me that they only recondition the electrical components, brushes, etc. They would not fix mine if the nose piece was broken. I think I read a post somewhere in the forum that someone had replaced their 6 volt starter with a 12 volt starter from a mid-50's model car. That is what I want to do. Would anyone know what car the 12 volt starter came off of so I can get one too?  Thanks in advance. Blue.

1 hour ago, Cold Blue said:

I need ya'lls help. I cannot find a replacement 6 volt starter for my 218 flathead motor. I called a bunch of places which refurbish starters and they all told me that they only recondition the electrical components, brushes, etc. They would not fix mine if the nose piece was broken. I think I read a post somewhere in the forum that someone had replaced their 6 volt starter with a 12 volt starter from a mid-50's model car. That is what I want to do. Would anyone know what car the 12 volt starter came off of so I can get one too?  Thanks in advance. Blue.

What are you calling the "nose piece"?

The drive pinion end housing. Hot dog!  I found one on Ebay, and I have ordered it. I have had a change of heart, and decided to repair the starter I have. I searched the Web till I was blue in the face, and had just about given up, when I found an NOS end housing for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cold Blue said:

The drive pinion end housing. Hot dog!  I found one on Ebay, and I have ordered it. I have had a change of heart, and decided to repair the starter I have. I searched the Web till I was blue in the face, and had just about given up, when I found an NOS end housing for a reasonable price.

Sometimes ya just get lucky!

Edited by knuckleharley

Put a fresh bushing in the part when you get it. Those repair  shops that couldn't or wouldn't find a housing for you should be able to check the armature for straightness  Sometimes the armature gets bent when the nose cone breaks.  Those noses break most often when the  timing is off and the engine kicks back against the stater.