My starter broke!!!

Cold Blue

Got in my 48 Plymouth this morning to take her for a spin around the block. Hit the starter button and a "whack" sound came from the starter. Then it wouldn't engage with the flywheel and just spun. Uh-oh, what now? Pulled the starter and look what I got. A broken nose piece. How the heck did that happen? The starter is a 6 volt model, looks original to me. My 48 has been converted to 12 volts, so 12 volts going to a 6 volt starter, but looking back in the forum posts, guys are running 6 volt starters with 12 volt conversion, no problemo. Looking closely at the bendix, the sleeve around the bendix is badly worn, and the bushing in the nose piece was too. I figure that with everything really wallered out, there was too much slop in the bendix and that put some torque on the nose piece, and viola - one broken nose piece, and one ruined starter...am I right? Thanks!!! Blue.

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

I have seen cast iron like a starter for example break real easy.

If for some reason when installed, is not sitting exactly flat or flush, then use the bolts to pull it up tight, will crack and break faster then a ..... fill in the blank.

As Adam said, if there is rust, it may have cracked when last installed, just now finished breaking.

You know that mopar loves you if it breaks down at home in the driveway  ?

I think you are right Adam! I just went out in the garage and looked closely where it broke, and yep, there's some rust. I have only had the car about 6 months, and I've never had the starter out, so I don't know the starter's history. Dropped? Maybe. Old age? Probably. I have been noticing that the starter would engage, but sounded a bit funny when it did. Regardless, time for a new starter. I looked on line, and boy, these things ain't cheap. Anybody got a source for one that is reasonably priced?

If there is a starter/electrical repair type shop within a reasonable driving distance I would take the starter to them and see if they have/can get replacement nose cone.

DJ