tire valves for 47 plymouth

dave evans

odd post...not sure of question...if oval, the larger valve size will do the job if there is no rust/thinning of the metal. You can get the actual oval bolt ins also...if your valve hole is rusted out due to use of tubes over the years and sitting in a non inflated condition.  You will need to get the rim repaired or replaced.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Hey sorry I was not more specific with my inquiry. I have a 1947 Plymouth It has the oval holes for the tire valves. One of the previous owners (a long time ago judging by the tires) mounted tires that say "tubeless" on them but each tire has a tube in it . I am going to replace the tires and would like to go tubeless. Does anyone have a part number for either the one piece or the two piece valve that will work for my car? This is my first time on the forum and I am very impressed ! Thanks Dave Evans

I was always under the impression there are 2 sizes of valve stems for passenger cars, older vehicles used the larger size, then the smaller size seems to be the new standard.

And yes, they make larger sizes for trucks.

All valve stems are round and made to fit into a round hole. I would think you need to drill your holes round and install larger valve stems.

No clue if that would work, sure it would be a fast way to ruin good wheels.

Just run good tubes, stay with a brand name like goodyear or firestone etc... There is nothing wrong with a quality tube. They also make radial tire or bias tire tubes. Radial tires produce more heat and need a thicker better tube, no doubt you could probably run a radial tube in a bias tire, they just cost more.

Must be a zillion trucks out on the highway running tubes, been doing it forever.

Another option is to buy a new set of wheels, be nice to run one set for one style, then 6 months later change her shoes and get a new look.

• Like 1