True to its nickname.....Doggie Dish.

48Dodger

Kinda odd how something like this can bring back memories.. On a long two-wheeled weekend many years ago a riding buddy and aspiring chef raided a freezer some trusting soul had on his carport and came away with some frozen burger patties. Another stop to liberate a hubcap and he now had a skillet! Nothing tastes quite like a burger with a little wheel bearing grease.. ?

I lost track of that old friend in the early '80s after he married a woman who shut the door on his old life. A month or so ago I learned he had just passed away from complications from diabetes. Speaking with his brother at the funeral I learned that my old friend had lost a leg to diabetes about fifteen years ago. According to his monitor he hadn't checked his blood sugar level for several months prior to his death. At his last check it had been over 300. Seems like he'd just given up the struggle. He was one of the most fearless motorcycle riders I've ever known. In the early '70s he rode a Honda 450 black bomber with Z bars, laid back neck, slugs in the fork tubes. Wish I had pics. It was a beast!!

• Like 3

Seeing Mack the Fingers post reminds me of a very fond memory of my Mom Dad and I from when I was about 10. We lived in Tucson and we took a little day trip into the desert not far from where I live now to look for "Desert Roses" . Dad brought come Chef Boyardee spaghetti with us to eat for lunch. Well he forgot to bring something to heat it on . So he too the hubcap off our car it was a Vega so no loss there :) and built a first under it . Then he set the opened can on top of it and let it heat up. After a few minutes I look at the can and the heat had made the contents of the can rise up in a tall spaghetti column like a push pop almost to the point of collapsing onto the hubcap and ground. I brought it to my Dads attention and he hurriedly poked a the wedge shaped end of the still new/ unused tire iron lug wrench into it to shove it back into the can all the time laughing . Dad was a hoot. One night when Mom was at my Aunts house next door Dad decided to make his own corn nuts. He drained and salted a can of hominys and put them on a flat cookie sheet type thing and put them into the toaster oven to roast and get crunchy. Long story short.... after a while all of the sudden they started to explode like firecrackers just as Mom walked in the front door. Dad wasnt allowed to use the kitchen for a while after that. I sure do miss them both.

John

• Like 4

My cousins from back east came to visit one 4th of July.  Passed thru some state where fireworks were legal.  Half the trunk was firecrackers we set off constantly for a weeks time.  They also brought M-80's and Cherry Bombs.  These older cousins found an old dog dish hubcap in the junk pile and sure had fun lighting a big one under it while another of them 'stood' on it.  That person got launched in the air a foot or more.  Must have been a good heavy hubcap cause it looked the same after as it did before.  Those guys were crazy.

• Haha 1

After a couple of days of making an old man happy....the lil dog is on his way back to his home.

They've missed him and can't blame them...he's a good'ol boy.

48D

ghost8.jpg

ghost9.jpg

ghost7.jpg

• Like 2

The real story for my wife and kids, is they know I miss my favorite buddy Red. 

Lost him back in 2012....some of you might remember him from a BBQ or two....

He was definitely this man's best friend. It was nice to be reminded of him.

017.JPG

081.JPG

100_3253 (2).JPG

100_5372 - Copy.JPG

• Like 4