Headlight Switch

belvedere666

Redoing my wiring and trying to adapt the new EZ harness to the old switch. (1950 Plymouth)

the original wiring diagram isn’t very clear since it’s being adapted.

Right now,

The pole with the nut is attached to the dash power.

the “H” is attached to the dimmer switch.

”I” is attached to the dashboard high beam indicator light.

i assume the “p” is for parking lights but there are 4 parking lights and two terminals.

i thought “T” was tail lights but there’s two tail lights and I don’t have a tail light wire outside of the brake light wire.

any advice?

A49400A1-6BF1-4912-8C97-6348C5CCC9D7.jpeg

Edited by belvedere666
Added picture

my first question to ask you is do you have a car manual for your car that handles the repair of your specific model?  Most of these factory manuals did have a wiring diagram included in the manual.  This would provide you with how the car was originally wired and then you might know some of the answers to your questions.

I am not trying to be smart about replying back to you but the service manual is th basic manual that every owner should have in their personal libray to support your car or truck.  I would think that the single  taillight wire would then feed back to a connector in the truck area and then would feed both right and left taillights.  The manual would show this information.

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

33 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

my first question to ask you is do you have a car manual for your car that handles the repair of your specific model?  Most of these factory manuals did have a wiring diagram included in the manual.  This would provide you with how the car was originally wired and then you might know some of the answers to your questions.

I am not trying to be smart about replying back to you but the service manual is th basic manual that every owner should have in their personal libray to support your car or truck.  I would think that the single  taillight wire would then feed back to a connector in the truck area and then would feed both right and left taillights.  The manual would show this information.

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I have a manual and I mention in the post that it isn’t very clear because im adapting the harness to the switch.

Nut is power out to a 30amp circuit breaker that feeds power to the Glove box lamp switch, power to the stop lamp switch  and on the other side of the circuit breaker to the radio and back to the ignition switch................. the ........H is headlight power out down to the dipper switch which switches it to hi/lo beam........P is for front parking lights............... T is for rear tailights................I is power to the Instrument lamp switch, which I think is the toggle switch under the dash.........power goes in from the starter & ignition switch to the topmost pole,ie, that one between the P and T sockets..............this is directly from the P19 and P20 wiring Diagram on page 299 of the 1946-1954 Plymouth Service Manual published 11/53 in the USA..............now some of these connections I am a bit iffy about,so at the very least I'd be just doing a test of the circuits thru the switch by using a trouble light and seeing what send power where...........as for the number of parking lights etc...........you only need in theory ONE parking light wire.....just split it up front/back/left/right as it becomes parking at the front, tailight at the back...........as for a stop light, you run constant power to a separate stoplight switch( ie, from that nut which should I think have power coming from the topmost pole........but check.....lol)) as they have to work irrespective whether its night or day..............anyway hope this helps...........andyd 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Nut is power out to a 30amp circuit breaker that feeds power to the Glove box lamp switch, power to the stop lamp switch  and on the other side of the circuit breaker to the radio and back to the ignition switch................. the ........H is headlight power out down to the dipper switch which switches it to hi/lo beam........P is for front parking lights............... T is for rear tailights................I is power to the Instrument lamp switch, which I think is the toggle switch under the dash.........power goes in from the starter & ignition switch to the topmost pole,ie, that one between the P and T sockets..............this is directly from the P19 and P20 wiring Diagram on page 299 of the 1946-1954 Plymouth Service Manual published 11/53 in the USA..............now some of these connections I am a bit iffy about,so at the very least I'd be just doing a test of the circuits thru the switch by using a trouble light and seeing what send power where...........as for the number of parking lights etc...........you only need in theory ONE parking light wire.....just split it up front/back/left/right as it becomes parking at the front, tailight at the back...........as for a stop light, you run constant power to a separate stoplight switch( ie, from that nut which should I think have power coming from the topmost pole........but check.....lol)) as they have to work irrespective whether its night or day..............anyway hope this helps...........andyd 

That’s a lot to take in... I’ll get out to the car again tomorrow morning to check all that out. My manual isn’t the 46-54, it’s a 49-52.

so, with my EZ harness, I don’t need to run through the curcuit breaker to powe the radio because fuse box has a dedicated circuit.

so I add power to the top plug.

Dash light to the “I”.

tail light to the “t”

headlight to the “h”through the dimmer switch.

parking light to the “p”.

and leave the screw/nut unused? 

Well what I'd do first is get a few wires that you can plug into those sockets and just check the circuits..........I just followed and typed what the wiring diagram indicated..........lol............I'd still not connect it up thru the cars circuits till I was certain that it works as per power in-power out ............doesn't your 49-52 Shop manual have the wiring diagram?..............I know when I wired up my car, the 40 dodge I still use the original ignition switch, starter button and headlight switch all with a home brewed wiring job, I cut the armoured cable that these mopars used from the ignition switch down to the coil and attached a new wire, Oz cars due to the RHD had used a dash mounted starter button for years and the headlight switch just switches, I havn't told it about the 12volts running thru, tho' I did pull it apart, clean & reassembled it and its been working fine for the past 45yrs.........lol..........BUT......I still recommend that you test everything first.........wiring is a black art, best done after whispering nice thoughts to the various pieces and vehicle.............lol............andyd    

• Haha 1

On Ebay under 1947 Plymouth wiring diagram there is a really nice heavy plastic one with all the wires colored.  I bought one and its really nice.  Size is about 12 by 17 inches and the price is $17.99

Ok. So I’m out here today. What i discovered is that i have only two wires that say parking lights. (EZ labels the wires)

one says front left.

other says rear left.

i had them plugged into the two plugs that appear to be linked next to the “p”. The upper left and middle.

I separated them and put the left rear into the top “T” plug and the left front into the top “p” plug.

all parking lights and tail lights work.

the confusion was in the labeling.

i was looking for a plug for all 4 lights.

i didn’t  know that the “left” wire would power the right.

got it figured out. Thanks for the help!

Edited by belvedere666
Spelling errors.