Disc Brakes

40plymouthman

I installed it on my 50. The brake kit was super easy. It bolts on with no modifications. But you cannot use your stock wheels. You need a 15 inch wheel or larger, with enough clearance. I am using aftermarket smoothie wheels with the original backspace.  They cleared just fine. If you were going the route with their master cylinder kit, I suggest you look elsewhere. 

My master cylinder kit has been kind of a nightmare. Of course, I expected it to need some sort of adjustment to fit my application, but it’s just a weird combination of things that didn’t go together smoothly. I finally got it working as it should. But I haven’t taken the car on the road yet.

2 minutes ago, belvedere666 said:

I installed it on my 50. The brake kit was super easy. It bolts on with no modifications. But you cannot use your stock wheels. You need a 15 inch wheel or larger, with enough clearance. I am using aftermarket smoothie wheels with the original backspace.  They cleared just fine. If you were going the route with their master cylinder kit, I suggest you look elsewhere. 

My master cylinder kit has been kind of a nightmare. Of course, I expected it to need some sort of adjustment to fit my application, but it’s just a weird combination of things that didn’t go together smoothly. I finally got it working as it should. But I haven’t taken the car on the road yet.

your wheels should have been stock at 15 inch for that year.....did someone put 14's on the car before you got it?

5 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

your wheels should have been stock at 15 inch for that year.....did someone put 14's on the car before you got it?

No. My car had 15 inch wheels. But the way the stock wheel centers are welded to the outer ring, the ECI calipers won’t fit.

So, if you are running an aftermarket wheel, they have to be at least 15 inch. A 14 inch aftermarket wheel won’t have enough room for the big calipers that they use. 

I have a 48 Plymouth and I'm interested in doing this.  I see that there are several places to get these kits from.  Some require proprietary calipers and pads,while others sell the brackets and you get the calipers and pads from an auto parts store.  What do you guys think about Scarebird?  https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=64

I installed a Scarebird brake kit on my 39 Plymouth. Bolted on with no problems. However, my car already had 15 inch wheels on it with radial tires. The spindles are one inch wider spacing. My rear end is stock, but already had wheel adapters.

My next and final project is to install a dual master kit from  from Wilwood 260-7563 which has remote reservoirs, 1 inch bore and line connections on the bottom of the master.

I'm looking at Scarebird master adapter which looks like I'll be able to drill and mount to the original master mount. This master adapter is made to mount the Wilwood  master. I should be able to keep the original brake pedal.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:05 PM, belvedere666 said:

Hi, do you have pictures of the installation of your master cylinder, cause I am having difficulties with the rest of my installation, disc brakes and calipers ok.

26 minutes ago, Popmab said:

Hi, do you have pictures of the installation of your master cylinder, cause I am having difficulties with the rest of my installation, disc brakes and calipers ok.

I don’t have any pictures, but where are you getting stuck?

what year is your car?

did you see my pictures I uploaded?  The master cylinder is totally different than the one I was sent and we cant figure how to modify it to work, a friend came into this site and found pictures of a modification and installation of this type of master cylinder and I am looking for finished installations. My car is  a 1941 4dr desoto custom S8 standard transmission.

Edited by Popmab
more information

1 hour ago, Popmab said:

did you see my pictures I uploaded?  The master cylinder is totally different than the one I was sent and we cant figure how to modify it to work, a friend came into this site and found pictures of a modification and installation of this type of master cylinder and I am looking for finished installations. My car is  a 1941 4dr desoto custom S8 standard transmission.

The master cylinder they sent you is a late 60s early 70s mustang master cylinder. It has two reservoirs. One for the drum brakes in the rear and one for the disk in the front.

the steel plate you have there should mount into the holes where your original master cylinder mounts and the new master cylinder will mount to the plate.

now that I look at it, they MAY have sent you the wrong adapter plate.  Mark at ECI has been very accommodating and willing to work with me when I had a question or an issue.

i was missing a few pieces and he sent them out right away.

mine looks like this picture here.

the three holes in the bracket fit into the three holes that hold the original master. This is kind of what the whole set up should look like 

F8775F24-3B15-4119-B8CE-F9C402BEF8DA.jpeg

Edited by belvedere666
Correction
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 6:06 PM, Popmab said:

1545593694120.jpg

1545593694295.jpg

1545593694194.jpg

1545422727986.jpg

I was under the impression that all 40-41 desotos had the master cylinder that sits in front of the of the pedals not to the rear as the pictures attached shows.  In my opinion the mounting bracket that  they provided  you doenst seem to apply to either styles

057F3D9A-D241-4213-BECD-B6E3EBF08736.jpeg

B339B9B8-DC09-40CB-A135-BA9FD99AC19F.jpeg