Trans Brake for a 48 Plymouth

Cold Blue

Hey guys - I bought my Club Coupe about 6 months ago, and am working on getting her finished. She's missing the transmission brake assembly. The hand brake and cable are there, but no assembly at the tail of the transmission. I think I know what happened. The previous owner replaced the old ball and trunion driveshaft and rear end with a newer GM driveshaft and rear end that has U-joints. The trans brake was apparently never re-installed. He doesn't know where it went. 

I am going to call junk yards and try to find one. What year of trans brake assembly would fit my car? 45 thru 49? I'm looking for a range, so I have at least a chance of finding one....Thanks in advance.

Option I might try to follow, what rear end and what is needed to connect the E-brake up in current rear?

I would have kept all the E-brake cable and mounting hardware from donor car of the rear end. Then after installing it to the plymouth, connect the new E brake to original plymouth handle.

I would say it is a far superior E-brake then the original plymouth and the direction I would take.

Now if the car was stock, I would of course suggest stock E-brake, you are already past that stage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cold Blue said:

Thanks Los! I didn't think that the new rear end might have the e-brake on the hubs and just needs a longer cable and some hardware bits to connect it. I will remove a rear drum and check it out!!!  Brilliant! 

And every piece in that system can be bought at any parts store in the country.

Yup - I bet the rear end has a parking brake built in. I'm in the process of hooking up a new set of cables now on my P15. Right from the factory brake handle to the brake levers on a Charger rear axle. I should have pictures of the setup mostly complete tomorrow evening.

I just went out to the garage, got a flashlight, and looked at the rear drums. Shore 'nuff, it's got late model stuff!  That's great news to me; I was thinkin' that a '48 trans brake was gonna be scarce as hen's teeth. Hot damn boys, I owe all of you a cold one...

Yep, thats the way to go, connect up the GM handbrake stuff..........BTW tho'the old mopar drive shaft handbrake if properly adjusted will pull the car up from 60MPH.............lol............ask me how I know.........lol..............a bit of smoke and WTF!!! is happening but they DO work quite well but sounds like you're good to go..........regards from Oz............andyd