Jaguar front clip

hurnleft

Hi all, I've had my RHD P15 Desoto on the road for a while now but having the original brakes and a worn steering box is no fun in today's traffic (although they have been adjusted as well as possible) so radical change is needed.

I've had a Jaguar front suspension / power steering set up on a truck so time ago and it drove very nicely and was easy to park so this is my plan for an improved enjoyment of the car.

My question is, has anyone done this conversion before and if so do they have advice and photos on how the work went?

Thanks, Bob.

this front clip along with just about any other clip out there in this general format will require extensive forward frame modification before any of the Jaguar, FMJ, Crown Vic, Fatman etc etc can be considered.....looking at the front frame spring pockets will be all you need to realize this truth...often the cost of aftermarket rails run to the tune of 600.00 not counting S&H and install.  It does not need to run that high granted, but the work will need be done.  A simpler all in one later model Mopar clip will get you there faster but then it will not be your Jaguar set up....

XJ6 Jag front suspensions are a common install in late 30's 40's Frods and pickup trucks here in Oz, have been for at least 20yrs, however they need a pair of straight chassis rails which Frods etc have but independant suspended mopars do not and as mentioned will require serious frame modification, if you are capable of this chassis work then the Jag front end offers a very good upgrade...........andyd 

Thanks guys, We picked up an XJS front end last night for which I'll start collecting the rebuild parts and get the hubs re-drilled so I can keep the standard wheels.

I've a very clever fabricator/mechanic who will do the work, He's done similar jobs before for me and others and is more than capable.

We know it's a big job and the car will (hopefully) look no different when it's done in spite of having spent quite a bit of money, but that's the idea, making a great looking car nicer to drive.

Bob.

43594942_2142101425802005_7945764702477352960_o.jpg

• Like 2

Hurnleft.........from the number plate I assume you are in England? and as its a South African car is it RHD?..........I had a South African 1941 Plymouth Coupe, factory Detroit Export RHD assembled in Sth Africa.............do you have access to production numbers in South Africa?............regards, andyd

Bob.........I'm no expert on post war mopars but that dash looks a lot like a 46-48 Plymouth dash but with the DeSoto logo..........heres a pic of the dash that my 41 Plymouth Coupe had....and I agree re your thoughts on LHD/RHD tho' at least we did get factory RHD cars although 99% were just 4drs like my 40 Dodge  

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

Yes, great looking car!

I did a similar IFS swap on my P15, documented on this forum with photos some years back.  I think it's all evaporated by now.  I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with some pics.

Briefly, I used an aftermarket clip from Kugel Komponents that is designed for early Ford applications.  They will make them to accomodate any frame/track width.  There are other manufactures who produce a similar concept.  The concept assumes a vertical surface i.e. a "channel" frame section at the point of installation.  I split my frame from the firewall to the spring pockets in a straight line and at a width similar to an early Ford.  I then welded in a 1/4" plate from firewall to spring pocket which yielded two parallel surfaces similar to the outside surfaces of an early Ford frame.  The IFS cross member kit slipped over and were welded to the vertical surfaces.  The frame haves that were previously removed, were welded back on yielding an almost stock look to the frame.

10 hours ago, greg g said:

Bill go to manage my attachments tool for. Your profile page.  If you put photos up without using a third party host like photo bucket they may still be there.

Greg, Tx for the tip.  Nothing there.  Probably a time when I did not choose that option over PhotoBucket which I no longer use.

Edited by mrwrstory

Not to take exception to the Drs comments, I agree to the frailties of the MII frontend kits.  Re my project and my complete satisfaction and trust, the Kugel crossmember is a complete assembled package with the MII geometry established.  A more robust unit.  Not a bucha parts to piece together with the "long bolt" that can become the weak link.

index_ifs_r3_c1[1].jpg

I prefer All bolts under high stress and critical parts like suspension to have setups that are supported on both sides on the mount like this roadstershop.com front suspension-Way Strong.

http://roadstershop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/REVO-IFS2.jpg

DJ

• Like 1