Fan blades. Mounting

Conn47D24

7 minutes ago, Conn47D24 said:

Simple (dumb ) question.

What is the correct installation of the fan on the water pump?

Is there a difference in sides?

20181114_084533.jpg

Take a minute and look at the picture you posted, the front is shown...if you were to reverse it the stiffeners built into the blades would prevent it from fitting flush and prevent you from securing it to the hub of the pump.....so yes...there is a difference in sides...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Make sure to inspect it very carefully...

post-6454-13585368773713_thumb.jpg

Had a old ford 390, one morning it was running rough, leaned over the fender and whacked the throttle a few times.

Blade let loose and buried itself 6" deep in the inner fender that I was leaning over  .... needed to change my pants that morning before work.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

you were lucky you only had to change pants once and not  change bandages for the following month....that experience will make a believer out of ya I am sure...improper mounting could lead to early failure due to undue stress on the metal accelerating fatigue in short order.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

16 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Had a old ford 390, one morning it was running rough, leaned over the fender and whacked the throttle a few times.

Blade let loose and buried itself 6" deep in the inner fender that I was leaning over  .... needed to change my pants that morning before work.

Last saturday the 5 of us were on the freeway when I saw something up in the air. 100ft or so in front of us a hood comes slamming down into the center of the road. A car had their entire hood rip off and go flying up in the air. Bet the guy driving that car has to go change pants

• Like 1

I know what let mine go, a small crack developed at one of the rivets.  It was mounted correctly and securely for 3 years prior...

That picture was taken on the side of the freeway on ramp after I unbolted the remains and went back for the missing blade.  It let go at about 4,000 rpm as I was accelerating up hill to get to speed.  The only carnage was a cut headlight harness and my soiled pants/seat

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

are you saying you knew there was a crack forming at a rivet but continued to run the fan.  

No, a close up showed a dirty or rusty crack followed by fresh crack.  would have never been able to see it without removal...  Who the hell would knowingly continue to run a cracked fan?

Fan.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

No, a close up showed a dirty or rusty crack followed by fresh crack.  would have never been able to see it without removal...  Who the hell would knowingly continue to run a cracked fan?

Fan.jpg

I would suspect the same in my case, I never did inspect just replaced afterwards.

But I had owned the truck for a couple years at this time, never had a reason to remove the fan blade prior to this.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

have seen similar failures that were unnoticed till the big bang happened....there will be many more of these down the road....a good alert to the forum at large that when it comes time to service the WP, do a very close visual on all the components.....

When mine threw a blade it sliced through both the passenger side fender and the hood.  I was amazed at how much damage it caused.

Marty

16 minutes ago, Conn47D24 said:

Thanks PA and all !

The dumb questions always have a simple answer.

It seems Mopars attempt at making some of these things idiot-proof ......have failed.

?

I admit that couple weeks ago, when I took mine off. I was very careful to set it down correctly so I would not get it mixed up myself.  :D

After PA simple explanation, very simple answer .... just saying you are not alone  ;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Last saturday the 5 of us were on the freeway when I saw something up in the air. 100ft or so in front of us a hood comes slamming down into the center of the road. A car had their entire hood rip off and go flying up in the air. Bet the guy driving that car has to go change pants

I had this happen two days ago while driving my 51 Victoria around 55 MPH. I had started it to drive out to eat breakfast,and the generator started screaming for oil.  Which was a bit of a surprise because I had a oil change and grease job done at a garage a couple of weeks ago,and oiling the generator and distributor is supposed to be a part of the deal.

Anyway,I raised the hood,oiled the generator,and started it up to make sure that did the trick. It did,so I just let the hood drop for maybe 6 or 8 inches and never bothered to check to see if it was latched good. Been driving it for over a year and it had never failed to latch before,so being in a hurry to get there before they stopped serving breakfast,I jumped in the car and took off.  I had probably driven a mile or so before it blew up against the windshield. I got REALLY lucky. The windshield wasn't damaged,and I was able to shut the hood securely to finish my trip. The hood is dinged up a little,but repairable. Have a hard time believing I was really that lucky.

BUT.....you can bet your bippy I will be making sure it is always latched in the future before I drive off,and that I will be putting a new spring in the "safety catch" hook.

4 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I had this happen two days ago while driving my 51 Victoria around 55 MPH. I had started it to drive out to eat breakfast,and the generator started screaming for oil.  Which was a bit of a surprise because I had a oil change and grease job done at a garage a couple of weeks ago,and oiling the generator and distributor is supposed to be a part of the deal.

Anyway,I raised the hood,oiled the generator,and started it up to make sure that did the trick. It did,so I just let the hood drop for maybe 6 or 8 inches and never bothered to check to see if it was latched good. Been driving it for over a year and it had never failed to latch before,so being in a hurry to get there before they stopped serving breakfast,I jumped in the car and took off.  I had probably driven a mile or so before it blew up against the windshield. I got REALLY lucky. The windshield wasn't damaged,and I was able to shut the hood securely to finish my trip. The hood is dinged up a little,but repairable. Have a hard time believing I was really that lucky.

BUT.....you can bet your bippy I will be making sure it is always latched in the future before I drive off,and that I will be putting a new spring in the "safety catch" hook.

Thats what confuses me. I would expect if that guy didn't have his hood latched it would have just blown up into the windshield. I'm guessing instead either the hinges ripped apart or the metal of the hood ripped apart sending the hood itself flying through the air. 

6 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Exactly right Tim, after that incident there's only 2 fans I'll ever use.

1. New

2. Electric (also new)

All others get tossed in the scrap bin.

Funny thing is I drove the rest of the day without a fan and only hit 200 once, lol

You don't really need a fan unless you are driving under 35 MPH and most of that in stop and go traffic.

On 11/14/2018 at 1:58 PM, knuckleharley said:

I can attest to that fun fact. I had one on a Corvair do that to me in1970 at about 30 MPH.  Don't know why for sure. Scared the bejeus out of 19 year old me.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook