Bought a new gadget I hopefully won't have to use.

BobT-47P15

Went to the local battery warehouse store last week and noticed this item.....a small battery jumper unit

at a reasonable price.  (The largest size offered was three hundred and some dollars....they say it's capable of

starting a semi)  This one sells in their store for $116.00....is 12 volt and 1000 amps.  NOCO "Genius" model

GB40.   My Plymouth is still 6 volt....which I have jumped with 12 volts on past occasions.  I just remove the jumper

as soon as I can once the engine starts.  This one is charged via a usb cable which I plugged in using the wall

adapter from my cell phone.  It comes with a cigarette lighter type plug to charge from a vehicle.  

The reason I bought this thing is because I drove the car last Saturday  in the Veterans Day parade and wanted a

dependable method to restart it in case it died and was being hard to start.  My battery is fairly new and I even

put a trickle charger on it overnight before the parade.  The car ultimately ran fine even in the cold weather (in

the teens).  The heater worked as good as it works, but took longer to heat up due to the new more efficient

cooling radiator.  And, the speedo cable made strange squalling noises while the needle went berserk.....

As usual, it's always something.  The fun of old cars.

DSC01062.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

IM003829.jpg

For six volt jumping, I’d suggest avoiding hooking this directly to the battery terminals. 

Although the leads on your device appear to be too short, the safer method to bypass sensitive aging electrics would be to place key in the run position, positive clamp to positive battery post, then use the negative clamp to touch the top post on the the starter until the car starts.

I have had a similar unit for a few years now for my 12v '28 Chrysler, very handy. One time the battery went completely flat at night (lack of current from the generator) before I had LED globes in the lights all round, not only it started straight up, but got me home, about 45 minutes drive at night with all the lights on. Not recommended, the unit swelled a bit, still works though.