Those that do interiors

Kevinb71

The recent post about P15 interiors and Dan Heibert's response that he has done some, has made me think. What equipment (sewing machine etc.) do those of you who have done interiors have and what would you need to do one interior or so a year. I have watched some video's on Youtube and it doesn't look terribly hard, maybe just a little fussy. Please tell me i'm wrong!

Ideally, you need a professional walking foot upholstery machine with big motor, clutch, and oil pump, like Singer or Pfaff. But they are expensive and bulky. For occasional upholstery work, antique electric Singer 66 may be suitable, with a few mods like more powerful motor, reduced drive ratio, and roller foot. These machines are very basic (just forward and reverse lock stitch), and robust. With right needle, Singer 66 can stitch 4-5 layers of leather. Takes some practice to learn, but not too difficult. 

the biggest item to control as from my experience with the professional walking foot industrial sewing machines is learning to feather the foot feed so it will not lurch forward at blazing speeds.  This continues to be my main complaint with both my machines though I admit the older Singer is a tad more controllable than that of the brand new machine that has its own self lubing pressurized oiling system.  (REX RX6-7D dew up to 3000 STM) I expect when I get serious to sew a bit for real, I will buy a servo motor to replace the clutch pack model.  From there I feel the added control will tame the beast.

I ended up with a used Pfaff from a guy retiring from the business that did some auto, mostly boat and got a bunch of supplies in the deal.  Walking foot, special foot for welting, boxes of staples, some hog rings, snaps for boat covers, etc.  Haven't used it yet.  Bought it with the intention of doing my own on the truck and finding someone else to do the interior at a price I could afford would be near impossible in my area.  I don't know of anyone doing any auto  work within 50 miles at least from me..  

Pfaff and Consew user  here....most important is setting the properly serviced machine up for your sitting height for good treadle control.

Yes they are sensitive but if the women in factories can run them so can us pansy ass men!

There is a servo motor kit for those who cannot man up.

Read, learn, watch video's and practice.... a lot. Go slow and easy ...you can do it!

Shop Sewing Room (2).JPG

• Like 2

On 11/13/2018 at 4:39 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

the biggest item to control as from my experience with the professional walking foot industrial sewing machines is learning to feather the foot feed so it will not lurch forward at blazing speeds.  This continues to be my main complaint with both my machines though I admit the older Singer is a tad more controllable than that of the brand new machine that has its own self lubing pressurized oiling system.  (REX RX6-7D dew up to 3000 STM) I expect when I get serious to sew a bit for real, I will buy a servo motor to replace the clutch pack model.  From there I feel the added control will tame the beast.

For what it is worth , I have two machines a walking foot consew 244 and an much much older singer slipper foot machine . The slipper foot machine was almost uncontrollable as it has a very heavy flywheel type clutch , what I did was take the clutch apart and apply vaseline to the clutch faces then wipe them off . the 244 I did about 30 years ago and have had 0 problems , now you can engage them slow and easy same for the singer .    

thanks for the tip, that would be a non destruct method to try for certain.  For anyone not familiar with the clutch of a industrial/commercial sewing machine....the experience is definitely "an experience"  no matter the adjustment and the pressure when feathering, the start is always a burst before able to control the speed....I will be a happy camper if the Vaseline tames the beast.

Up to 3500 stitches per minute! No wasted clutch action with industrial  machines.?

Watch those fingers....

my friend who is a professional sewer with his own business stopped by and tried his hand at the machine, while he stated it is a nice machine, the clutch was a bit "uncontrollable" and had no real advice at taming the beast other than a reducer pulley setup or the servo motor.  I really do not have a space to dedicate to the sewing operation at this time.  The room I had it set up in I remodeled recently and moved the machine to storage.  I have nothing to lose at trying the Vaseline for certain.   

We made seat covers out of whip cord upholstery fabric from retail clearance bin.  Used the wife's portable Brother machine with HD upholstery thread and the appropriate needle.  Still holding up after 13 years. Didn't do any fancy stitching or any attempt at surface designs.

I have upholstery done by a local fellow. I've watched him work and he can get more done in fifteen minutes than I could do in a week. Plus he can sew a straight line!! 

My wife works for an interior design company that makes ridiculously expensive custom drapes and bedspreads. The company's in the process of replacing some of their equipment. I don't know the manufacturer's name but they're expensive enough they sent installers from Europe.. What a world...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/28/2018 at 4:19 PM, Polsonator2 said:

I did mine with a cheap entry model $100 plastic Singer from JoAnns Fabric

20180205_100635.jpg

nice job!

Edited by Dbolter
  • Thanks 1