Removing Cam

stan's52

yes, unless you have just recently address the valves, I personally would remove the valves from the block in order to inspect them, the guides and then hand lap on return to the block...it is only a few extra steps to perform this added bit of insurance.  The tappets would also be inspected if I were removing the cam, but then you would that is also a bit more added time.  Not sure just the reason for your removing the cam at this time.

The service manual covers this. You are correct, service manual uses two pieces of wood to hold the valve open. The lifters are held up using clothes pins. I would imagine taking out as much adjustment as possible on the lifters to reduce their effective height is needed as well.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:44 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

yes, unless you have just recently address the valves, I personally would remove the valves from the block in order to inspect them, the guides and then hand lap on return to the block...it is only a few extra steps to perform this added bit of insurance.  The tappets would also be inspected if I were removing the cam, but then you would that is also a bit more added time.  Not sure just the reason for your removing the cam at this time.

I have a engine that is already put together. I decided to go a different way on my 52 Plymouth Coupe. I am removing the cam to have it reground to a better performing  engine, along with duel carbs, and headers. This action may not agree with some, but that's my decision, and I am sticking too it. Stan