Heater duct and stuff

Russell Winje

Again, thanks for all the input over the months.  Quite helpful.  What I need to learn now is what's missing in my heater assembly.  If anyone could share pictures of what goes on under the hood from the fan motor to the firewall I can see what I can do to get ready for winter. 

As a follow up to all the things I have addressed since I last shared with you; I replaced the speedometer cable assembly as the old cable bit the big one and died in the housing.  A crazy noise that was the last squeals of the cable are gone now.  The windshield wipers work, so new blades are on the way.  Changed the motor oil again, as soon as it got ugly and the fresh oil has the motor sounding sweeter, and the smoking is less with each tank of gas (350 miles now since it was dead on the trailer when it arrived in August from someone's barn, to mine).  The fresh oil in the transmission removed yet another bothersome noise, and the shifting improved.  Greasing the lube points eliminated yet another untraceable noise.  The car never locked up the drive line again, and I NEVER touched the kick down switch on the shifting lever (which my wife is quite happy about).  All in all, from so noisy and so smoky and sluggish to a sweet start and drive, the car has went from a nervous run to town to a cozy couch on the road.   Thanks again, Russ

• Like 2

Great to hear some positive news.

Here's what some of it looks like...the thick card board  heater duct is an extremely difficult piece to find.

1949-50 NewYorker and Saratoga are the same heater parts... but there are different heater model systems like 500, 550 etc.

The fan motor is under/in front of  the front radiator access cover.

C49 T& C (1).PNG

C49 T& C (2).PNG

Thanks for the pictures.   Verifies what I suspected, in that the heater coil would be to the front of the motor compartment.  And yes, all that plenum is missing.  Looks like "make a plan" is coming up.

Can you tell me where the thermostat lives in the radiator system?  Thanks.

Any 500 Series ( upper line) heater box with the heater core in it will fit your car out of any 1949-50 Mopar. There are some on E-bay.

Here's a maybe lead on a heater duct.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duct-8-Cyl-Chrysler-DeSoto-1949-1950-1951-1952-install-ready-Complete/272788567674?hash=item3f8377367a:g:4cAAAOxy-HtRYTgG:rk:5:pf:0

He says it fits all 1949-52.....not true as 1951-52 eights were the V-8 hemi. The ducts are different between 49-50 and 51 -52 eight cylinder cars..

The one you need has to curve around the carb. 1949-1950

On 11/12/2018 at 5:32 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Here's what some of it looks like...

Thanks to your pictures I was able to find the heater box with heat radiator.  There is not a duct yet, but again with the pictures and description things are looking up.

Kind regards

On 11/13/2018 at 7:34 PM, BobT-47P15 said:

Is the thermostat ln the head....right where the radiator hose neck attaches to the head?    There are usually

some heat range choices for a thermostat......cooler or hotter.  

The new 180 thermostat is on the way.  The running temp would indicate that there is no thermostat right now.  I have been going through my old Motors Manuals looking for cross sectional views, only finding 6 cly so far.  The assumption is that the thermostat will be at the top of the head, though the shape at that point doesn't fit what I expect. I will see what the shape of the new thermostat (new old stock) lends its self too.

The thermostat is in the water outlet housing at the front of the head like the six cylinder engine.