Oil Pans Types

Conn47D24

Back on track today with the CORRECT external bypass head, and painted block.

Next up is the oil pan and I have two type.

Would you please tell me if one is correct for my D24 ?

First two photos are # 1 choice.  Pix 3 & 4 are the 2nd choice

( First picture: what is the "slot" welded to the interior side ? )

Thanks as usual !

Clay

20181112_155925.jpg

20181112_155931.jpg

20181112_163226.jpg

20181112_163238.jpg

Conn47D24,

If I had to offer a guess, and that’s what this is – a guess – I’d say that the flat plate welded into the first sample oil pan is a make-shift windage tray. Why did the individual that did this feel it was necessary??? Well, that’s anyone’s guess. In a high-performance engine, it makes sense, but in an I-6 flathead – I just don’t see the reason for it. Regards . . .

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DrDoctor said:

Conn47D24,

If I had to offer a guess, and that’s what this is – a guess – I’d say that the flat plate welded into the first sample oil pan is a make-shift windage tray. Why did the individual that did this feel it was necessary??? Well, that’s anyone’s guess. In a high-performance engine, it makes sense, but in an I-6 flathead – I just don’t see the reason for it. Regards . . .

Well, FWIW, my guess is a baffle to keep the oil in the area of the pickup during hard braking or descending steep hills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those are factory baffles in the first oil pan... a more deluxe pan to keep the oil in the sump on slopes while moving as mentioned..

The U-slot is what the dip stick slides into.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Conn47D24 said:

Does anyone recognize the first one I have with the baffles?  What type on block would this one be from?

that looks like a truck oil pan. the baffles would make sense with the heavier duty usage of a truck

My 51 Plymouth has baffles, my 53 Savoy did not.... my 52 Dodge had baffles.

I have not seen baffles in the B series 1/2 thru 1 tons.

Here is a factory picture out of the 1949-52 Dodge shop manual showing a baffled  oil pan.

Oil Pan Baffles D41 D42.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That "slot" is for the dipstick, as for that "V" in the rear baffle, its just a way of strengthening the baffle.........I'd run any pan with a baffle instead of a pan without a baffle........whilst its not a 6 cylinder flathead I reversed the pan on the 318 Poly when I installed it, added a baffle at the front to stop or at least restrict oil flow to the front away from the oil pickup, and installed a dipstick on the opposite side of the pan, this together with a remote oil filter using a common Z9 filter with a remote oil cooler in front of the radiator has increased the oil capacity by about 2 litres.............still working o/k 40 yrs later....... I have no idea which pan is "correct" but I'd use pan #1............Andyd 

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1

Update:

I dry fitted the pan today.  All lines up except the "slot".

The dip stick misses it by an inch.

My D24 parts book shows a pan with this slot . And the shop manual shows the baffles. 

I'm baffled!

Questions:

1. Will the stick be ok , not hit any moving parts? 

2. The stick hole in the block is threaded.  Why?

Edited by Conn47D24
Spell

No - the truck engine I found had an oil pan that had a threaded boss on the side of the pan where the pipe for the dipstick threaded in. If it were me I’d use the baffled pan, better oil control and you cant tell what’s inside looking from the outside - right ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dartgame said:

Truck engine uses threaded boss on the side of the pan.

1948-53 pans.... not the W series correct?

Just now, Dodgeb4ya said:

1948-53 pans.... not the W series correct?

1 hour ago, Dartgame said:

Truck engine uses threaded boss on the side of the pan.

Right the 39-47 pickups use a rear sump same as a car with the dipstick in the block. pilot house engines have a front sump and the dipstick in the oil pan.