Zerk Fittings Cleaning

Bingster

I generally remove & clean them using a piece of wire in the threaded end, then a toothbrush & some degreaser then wash them out and air dry............I use a moly..... based grease for all the grease nipples on the dodge.........andyd 

The zerk fitting a cheap to purchase. Get new ones and then you do not have to spend the time trying to cleanout old hardened grease. Just unscew the old one screw in the new ones and then use your grease gun with the new grease to lube each part.

rich hartung

• Like 1

Back in the 1950's when I was hanging out at the neighborhood gas station learning how to change oil and grease cars if we ran across a zerk that would not accept grease we would heat it with a propane torch until it would accept grease. Granted the hardened grease that caused the blockage got pushed downstream but the logic was it is better to have a small amount of hardened grease than no grease at all.

• Like 1

The reason I try to use or clean out the old grease nipples is that here in Oz that bastard metric system has meant that there are metric grease nipples and their threads are different to the pure imperial ones...........how I hate the metric cistern.......lol...........andyd

• Haha 1

Heat... not too much.... is like Don posted above... it's the good and easy way... then be on your way to get more done.